Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Energy consumed by a digital circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

reddvoid

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have a digital circuit , to find the energy consumed by the circuit, I am monitoring the current drawn from the supply and integrating it to get the charge pumped into the circuit ... and the total charge*V supposed to give me total energy consumed by the circuit.

But I am getting a small spike of negative current (current going back into the source?)
which gives me negative charge (charge going back in to the source?)
which gives me negative energy ( Energy gained by the source?)

Do I have to consider this negative energy while calculating total energy consumed by the circuit or should I neglect it ?

Thanks in advance

Hi,

if this current really is in reverse direction AND you don´t dissipate this reverse energy somehow, then .. a short time later your circuit will consume this energy and does not need to draw it form your usual supply.
--> your integrator needs to take care of it as negative energy.

Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.