Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Stabilizer design help needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

baileychic

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Question: Stabilizer design help needed

I am planning to design a stabilizer. I will be using a step-up transformer which gives say 220V for 90V input. What I want to know is instead of using relays for controlling the output can I use Multiple TrIACs in parallel ? By Phase angel control can I control the output voltage to load. I need max 500 W output.

Idea is output from the stepup transformer is controlled using TRIAC and to handle 500 watts load I will use Multiple TRIACs in parallel.

I will be ofcourse using a PIC16F877A or any PIC16F which can do the work.

There are various previous Edaboard threads, e.g. this https://www.edaboard.com/showthread.php?t=160438

Some designs are using triac switches, but surely no phase angle control, just full wave switching.

Phase angle control isn't appropriate for general voltage stabilizer applications.

@FvM

Why Phase angle control is not good for voltage stabilizers ? Explain more.

How is full wave switching different from Phase angle control ? I don't want to use multi tapped transformer and also I don't want to use mechanical relays. So, how can I modify my circuit to get constant 220 or 230V ?

My idea is to use TRIAC at the output of the step-up transformer and do phase angle control. So, when input is 90V I should get 220V output and when input to transformer is 290V then also the output from the TRIAC should be 220V.

The Stabilizer will be used for Refrigirators and other inductive loads.

Why Phase angle control is not appropriate for Stabilizers ?

- - - Updated - - -

So, my only option is to make a Pure Sinewave Stabilizer using Full-Bridge Mosfets ? That is converting mains AC to DC and then use this DC as VBUS voltage for Full-Bridge and then use SPWM with feedback to control the output voltage and get exact 220V 50Hz Puse Sinewave output ? Ofcourse using Parallel low Rds(on) mosfets for the Full-Bridge to get more power.

Why are square wheels not good for making a car? If you're pretty sure that your home appliances can work with phase angle control, just try.

If you calculate the parameters of your secondary switched transformer, you'll find out that it needs 1100V triac voltage rating and 710 Vrms transformer output voltage (290/90*220).

Ok then I will go with Pure Sinewave Stabilizer which uses Mosfet H-Bridge with SPWM. Will this be ok ? That is feeding 90 * 1.4142 V to 290 * 1.4142 V to VBUS voltage and using SPWM with feedback to get fixed 220V output voltage.

I want to know whether it is better to use switching transformer based DC-DC converter which gives isolation ot to use synchronous Buck-Boost converter to get constant 325V DC for VBus voltage for the Stabilizer. Can a Buck-Boost converter provide constant 325V DC for 90 to 290V AC input ? AC is converted to DC before feeding to Buck-Boost converter.

Status
Not open for further replies.