Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Translating Xilinx KCU105 DxDesigner Schematic and Allegro Board file to Altium

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skywalker1

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, I need to convert the SCH and PCB files for a Xilinx KCU105 Dev Board to Altium format. I am willing to pay for your time if required.

The board files are here (bottom of page): https://www.xilinx.com/products/boards-and-kits/kcu105.html#documentation

Schematic: XTP392 - KCU105 Schematics ( versions Rev 1.0, Rev 1.1, 3225 KB ) [ZIP]
Layout: XTP393 - KCU105 Allegro Board ( version Rev 1.0, Rev 1.1, 13213 KB ) [ZIP]

I have Altium 17, so the version is not critical. A quick conversion is VERY acceptable, as long as the components are all there.

Many thanks,

Luke

It's you who will convert from Allegro to Altium format since you have the tool.Allegro/Orcad cannot convert its brd file to Altium, but you can import it in Altium.
I don't know Altium is capable or not but if there is a format converter, it's Altium not Allegro.I can convert it as ODBC++ format if you wish.It may work..

Hi Bigboss,

Thanks for your offer, but...

Altium does have importers for various formats, but the usability is dependent on various factors:
- In some cases it will only do a successful import if source library files are included (eg. Orcad)
- The import quality can often be better if the design is saved in an earlier version of the program (again, eg. Orcad, where saving the file as Orcad 16.2 can improve import)
- In the case of Allegro, if I am to import the *.brd PCB file then I need Mentor installed on my PC! The only way around this is to export the design (whilst in Allegro) as a *.alg file (ASCII file), not the *.brd.

So, one solution...I am looking for:
- someone who has Allegro to do a *.alg export of the PCB for me
- someone who has DXDesigner to do a Schematic Library file export for me, and possibly to Export the entire design in an earlier DxDesigner format (if possible).

I can then import these to Altium.

The alternative is for someone who has both Mentor (DxDesigner/Allegro) and Altium to do the convwersion and then send me the Altium files.

Either is OK...but I do need someone with the original packages to help ;-)

Hi BigBoss,

Do you have DxDesigner and / or Allegro?

If so:
- For the SCH - would you be able to generate a schematic library file and possibly be able to export the design in an earlier version of DXDesigner (if it is available as an option...I am hoping we have the same issue as with Orcad imports)?
- For the PCB - could you export the PCB in *.alg format (ASCII)?

Many thanks,

Luke

OK, I have found a solution for BRD file.Post Schematic and Board file here because Xilinx requests a registration with corporate e-mail.

Hi BigBoss, Not sure whether there are Xilinx restrictions on openly sharing this data on bulletin boards.

Cheers,

Luke

Hi BigBoss,

Ok, from what I can see there is no real restriction as long as the intention is to use the Xilinx device. Files attached.

Attachments

• 0381556r02.zip
    24.6 MB · Views: 89
  • 1280723r02_BRD.zip
    13.3 MB · Views: 96

Hi BigBoss,

Many thanks. Importing the alg file at the moment. With each passing second the processor is grinding exponentially closer to a halt. With any luck it will be finished later tonight.

I will explore the Expedition route for the schematic.

How do I reimburse you for your efforts?

Luke

Hi BigBoss,

Many thanks. Importing the alg file at the moment. With each passing second the processor is grinding exponentially closer to a halt. With any luck it will be finished later tonight.

I will explore the Expedition route for the schematic.

How do I reimburse you for your efforts?

Luke
Good Luck..No reimbursement is necessary..

Hi BigBoss,

FYI...import went ok. Early indication is some issues with via sizes and resultant clearance issues...but definitely something I can work with. I will start a separate thread to see if someone can help with schematic import.

Many thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back