Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PCB masking problem, issue while soldering

Status
Not open for further replies.

sushant_21

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have received PCB from local manufacturer, while soldering found some issue in PCBs, as u can see in Image 1 and Image 2, the PAD has little silver line near it. while soldering if solder paste spread over these silver line, the component and GND is shorted.
I wish to know is there any way to overcome this issue, as i have ordered 3 PCB.

If there is any help most welcome, also i am beginner bear with improper words usage.

Thank you
Sushant

Attachments

• IMG_20171119_204022284_preview.jpg
    IMG_20171119_204022284_preview.jpg
    425.4 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_20171119_203829487_preview.jpg
    IMG_20171119_203829487_preview.jpg
    485.1 KB · Views: 93

Presumed you are providing correct gerber files to the manufacturer, it's badly aligned solder mask. Shouldn't happen with quality manufacturer.

I measure >300 µm misalignment in the photo, just inacceptable.

Presumed you are providing correct gerber files to the manufacturer, it's badly aligned solder mask. Shouldn't happen with quality manufacturer.

I measure >300 µm misalignment in the photo, just inacceptable.

Thank you for response, i have checked gerber files it is proper.

i wish to know, is there any way i can get one PCB assembled ready for testing.

Hi,

Can you cut through the offending area with a scalpel/cutter to separate the silver line from the pad? Don't know what your board's for and if that would have a negative effect, but for a quick test of the board until it's done properly it might be good enough.

The problem might be that the components are "pulled" towards the solder mask position during reflow solder, causing shorts.

It should be possible to solder the SO8 component U1 and others at least manually without causing shorts respectively to move the components to fix shorts.

Reactions: sushant_21

V

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

sushant_21

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Hi,

Can you cut through the offending area with a scalpel/cutter to separate the silver line from the pad? Don't know what your board's for and if that would have a negative effect, but for a quick test of the board until it's done properly it might be good enough.

Thank you for response, i have tried that but for 0805 closely placed component its difficult.

The problem might be that the components are "pulled" towards the solder mask position during reflow solder, causing shorts.

It should be possible to solder the SO8 component U1 and others at least manually without causing shorts respectively to move the components to fix shorts.

and considering @d123 post, i need it get it soldered from pro assembler, it seems difficult for novice assembler.

Thank you
Sushant

Hi,

You may manually apply some protective laqueur before assembling.
Maybe with a toothpick or other small device.

Klaus

You ordered to a bad PCB manufacturer.Solder-mask is shifted as well as drills are also shifted.You fortunately ordered few pieces..
As Englishman said.." I'm not so rich as buying cheaper"
Next time, arrange Solder-mask smaller or equal to pad size.Or put the margin very small..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back