Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Allegro PCB Designer 16.6 - "Symbol does not fit into the drawing" - w. place replica

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dominik155

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Allegro PCB Designer 16.6 - "Symbol does not fit into the drawing" - w. place replica

Hi,

I want to use place replica for a larger board with more identical blocks for the different channels. I tried the "place repicate" function first with a simple testboard. There everything was just fine.

But (in the large design) if I want to place the replica blocks via the "place replicate apply" function, i always geht the Error message
E- (SPMHA1-150): Symbol does not fit into the drawing ... reposition the symbol.
no matter if i try to replicate the full blocks (~40 components) or only 2 or 3 caps / resistors. So I don't think there is an issue with the footprints. I also added a screenshot of the routed block block (right half) and the placed components for the second instance of this block (left half).

Unfortunately, the common workaraound with enlarging the design area does not work. Also, the database check shows no errors.

Has anyone an Idea what can be wrong in my design - as I only get this error if I use "place replicate" and not at saving or placing components where the other ones have this error?

Thanks for your request.

Attachments

• Unbenannt.PNG
    Unbenannt.PNG
    42.7 KB · Views: 118

Re: Allegro PCB Designer 16.6 - "Symbol does not fit into the drawing" - w. place rep

Is there something right offscreen that is part of the circuit? If so the selection of this also can cause a huge group area preventing features like you are referring to from working.

View all and see if you see more screen.

Re: Allegro PCB Designer 16.6 - "Symbol does not fit into the drawing" - w. place rep

Unfurtunaely, there is nothing off screen. The "Zoom Fit" function shows just the board. Also, the generated group after generating the placement repicla block ist just around that block.
I also got a hint today, that I might have to rereference the schematic for Layout Reuse and Backannotate the Board. If that works (I'll try that tomorrow), I will post more details in here if anyone else has this problem, too.

Solution:

The hint i got with rereferencing the schematic didn't helped. But I found the solution for my problem by playing around today:

The Error "Symbol does not fit into the drawing" when using "Place Replica Apply" was caused because the xxx.mdd file was not stored in the "Layout" folder itself, but in a subdirectory. I solved it by simply copying the .mdd file in the layout-folder (the folder that contains the .brd file). Then anything worked just fine as in the cadence tutorials.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back