Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

FPGA interface with 100Mbps Ethernet

Status
Not open for further replies.

fouwad

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello guys,
I wish to interface FPGA with 100Mbps ethernet, I have found numerous ICs, some support MAC and PHY while some support only PHY. I need some jump start on this, can anyone guide me how to do it efficiently. My design include only peer to peer communication at this moment. Thanks

Hi,

I have found numerous ICs, some support MAC and PHY while some support only PHY.
The question is how much do you want to pay for the PHY and what is your desired type of interface between the MAC and PHY.

Is it just a proof-of-concept project work?

If you are restricted to 100Mbps speed then there are free MAC cores (atleast Xilinx has the free AXI Ethernet Lite or something from OpenCores).
I need some jump start on this, can anyone guide me how to do it efficiently
In this case I would suggest to use a FPGA development boards that have PHY chip on them and it can be made to interface with the MAC core implemented at the FPGA fabric.

In a previous contract, I found myself interfacing with a Fibre to Ethernet connection. The implementation consisted of my fpga with a GT wizard instantiation to detect the 8/10b encoded signal.

What I later found out was I had to do auto-negotiation, and other low end stuff.

The reason I was deep in the weeds, was because I wanted to filter the message based on what it's mac address/source & destination was.

My recommendation to you would be to avoid this unless it's what the job requires and use an ic that does autonegotiation and MAC related stuff.

Regards,
Wes

- - - Updated - - -

In a previous contract, I found myself interfacing with a Fibre to Ethernet connection. The implementation consisted of my fpga with a GT wizard instantiation to detect the 8/10b encoded signal.

What I later found out was I had to do auto-negotiation, and other low end stuff.

The reason I was deep in the weeds, was because I wanted to filter the message based on what it's mac address/source & destination was.

My recommendation to you would be to avoid this unless it's what the job requires and use an ic that does autonegotiation and MAC related stuff.

Regards,
Wes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back