Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Replicate functionality of unavailable Line Driver IC

Status
Not open for further replies.

moralle

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am working on a project which needs to communicate with some devices which use a twisted pair medium for communications, the line drive was developed in the early 80's but has now been discontinued, there is some residual stock but no reliable supply, therefore I want to replicate the functionality using a combination of code and generic components.

Maxim MM1192

The device datasheet is available here http://pdf.eepw.com.cn/m20091014/5a759009d820ca2cbebc15ca19e43921.pdf

Is anybody able to give me a start as i'm not sure of the best approach.

Looks like a combination of AMI modulator and bi-phase driver/receiver. As far as I can tell it died years ago. What devices is it communicating with? Given that it takes serial data in and produces serial data out, it might be easier to convert the other equipment than recreate an obsolete interface.

Brian.

Thanks for the clarifications and correcting my mistake.

The part is still being widely used but not distributed anymore, ee cannot change the druvers in the equipment we wish to communicate with and therefore need to find a way to replicate its functionality.

Do you think this would be a very difficuilt task?

Not particularly difficult if you can get hold of the HBS specification. I would guess as it works at relatively slow speeds you could emulate the encoding/decoding in a simple microcontroller but I'm not sure about the electrical interface. It doesn't look too hard from the data sheet but then it doesn't detail all the bus parameters.

Brian.

I have the bus sprcification and the software side does not concern me, its the hardware side that im not sure where to start and was hoping someone could give some pointers, i would be willing to pay a reasonable fee for some assistance if anybody is interested?

Status
Not open for further replies.