Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to protect microcontroller from damage

Status
Not open for further replies.

noisepic

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
My atmel controller on the same board with buck-boost converter, with output current is 20A, voltage up to 20V. Some how microcontroller damage currently I don't the reason. Do you know to test to see how can damage my microcontroller and verify the design? which tool?

Hi,

most likely schematic erros or PCB layout errors.

If you want us to verify it, then you need to send those data.

Klaus

My atmel controller on the same board with buck-boost converter, with output current is 20A, voltage up to 20V. Some how microcontroller damage currently I don't the reason. Do you know to test to see how can damage my microcontroller and verify the design? which tool?

My View:
on ths same board the power used is quite high and that too switching RF. I mean your power supply. Due to this there can be radiation which will damage low voltage devices. For this there should be a good isolation between these; spacewise and some power supply isolation like connecting grounds not tin the same board etc. It is preferable to isolate the power supply.
Regards

Hi,

Due to this there can be radiation which will damage low voltage devices.
No. This radiation alone can not destroy the device.
(We build electronic devices they are placed very close to a switched 2500V/6000A RMS line.... Without problems 24/7 runtime for more than 10 years now on about 1000 units.)

But the traces of a bad layout may act as antennas...and this may lead to problems.

In your case I assume it is a conductive problem rather than a radiation problem.

But because you are not posting your PCB layout .. I assume you already know where the problem lies...

Klaus

How to test the design (including layout) is good enought for this case which can not damage microcontroller? as your post it means trace conductive might cause problem.

Hi,

I or we can´t give a complete tutorial how to design a good PCB layout.

Therefore in post#1 I requested to post your PCB layout, then we have something to discuss about.

Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.