Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to decide memory extra margin adjustment (EMA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

superpanda

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi all,

when I use artisan memory.

I don't know how to make a good decision to set memory EMA after I read the data sheet.
:roll:
ema.PNG

I don't understand it is not good when EMA is smaller than default value.

If I have a critical timing issue , may I use EMA= 000 for STA timing.

Re: how to decide memory extra margin adjustment (EMA)

Usually, you tapeout your chip with the default (recommended) values of margin.
If you are planning to play with EMA values on the real chip - do not connect constant values to the EMA pins, but connect them to register. So, you will be able to modify values in the silicon.

After the chip will be fabricated you can play with margin values, until the memory still works (in all possible environment conditions) on all your chips.

Using lower than the default value will improve timing, but potentially reduce yield.

Usually, you tapeout your chip with the default (recommended) values of margin.
If you are planning to play with EMA values on the real chip - do not connect constant values to the EMA pins, but connect them to register. So, you will be able to modify values in the silicon.

After the chip will be fabricated you can play with margin values, until the memory still works (in all possible environment conditions) on all your chips.

This ^^^

Make sure you have a way to tune the EMA dynamically after tapeout.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back