Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Which antenna would you use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RFEdward

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi I'm starting to study RF propagation at college, and I m thinking about what antenna I should use for this scenario:

Capture1.PNG

It's a simplex communication and the distance between transmitter and receiver is just 700 meters, also the link is non Line of Sight, there are 2 buildings that almost covered the line of sight.

The antenna will work in 408.01250 Mhz (UHF) and the bandwidth I will use will be 12.5 Khz. So I think the radio link won't be limited by power or bandwidth.The modulation will be FM.

Do you think a 1/2 wavelength dipole (omnidirectional) will work right for the scenario? or maybe a yagi (directional)? I think a yagi would oversize the link.

Wich kind of antenna would you use?

Thanks in advanced !!!

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry the job frecuency will be 408.00625 Mhz (UHF)

Attachments

• Capture2.PNG
    Capture2.PNG
    33.8 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:

You need to work out a link budget.

Free space path loss is about 82db.

A finger in the air guess would be between 80 and 100db

Not sure what your rx sensitivity is or tx power so its hard to say what antenna would suit.

A yagi would he fairly big and cumbersome at this frequency though.

Folded dipoles seem fairly common for this sort of application.

As Hagster said you need to work out your link budget, but with if I understand your configuration correctly 2 watts available then there should be no problem with a smal antenna. When deciding on an antenna to use there is more than just the received power to consider and every on ewill have differing criteria so ther may not be a single right answer for every situation. A yagi may be larger than a small whip antenna but does give some advantages. Directivity means that your receiver will be potetially subject to less interfence, off axis signals will be supressed though there may be some reflections from the buildings. The antenna gain means that your transmit power can be reduced, lowering both initial cost and operating cost, and again the interference potential to other users is reduced by theerduction in power and the directivity of the antenna.
If the TX & RX or antennas are to be mounted at 30m, then the practicalities of mounting either type of antenna are about the same. Mounting structure cables and riggers wil dominate over the actual antenna.
From a theoretcal exercise point of view given your power and assuming a reasonable receiver the proverbial piece of wet string will do, from a practical poit of view even though it may seem overkill, assuming regulations allow it I'd go for the directional antenna, a 10 or 12dBi yagi is not that big at 400MHz; at 2 meters long you would not want to cary it about but mounted on a building or tower it should be no problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.