+ Post New Thread
Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Advanced Member level 5
    Points: 27,131, Level: 40
    Achievements:
    7 years registered

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    cambridge
    Posts
    5,696
    Helped
    433 / 433
    Points
    27,131
    Level
    40

    SMD inductor on land pattern of different SMD inductor

    Hello,
    Will the Wurth 7687714222 inductor be place-able on the land pattern for the MSS1260T inductor?

    7687714222 inductor:
    http://katalog.we-online.com/pbs/dat...7687714222.pdf


    MSS1260T inductor:
    https://www.coilcraft.com/pdfs/mss1260t.pdf

    We appreciate that hand soldering would be fine for this replacement, but we are referring to the soldering of it in a reflow solder oven.

  2. #2
    Member level 3
    Points: 1,664, Level: 9
    Achievements:
    7 years registered

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Posts
    56
    Helped
    6 / 6
    Points
    1,664
    Level
    9

    Re: SMD inductor on land pattern of different SMD inductor

    Quote Originally Posted by treez View Post
    Hello,
    Will the Wurth 7687714222 inductor be place-able on the land pattern for the MSS1260T inductor?

    7687714222 inductor:
    http://katalog.we-online.com/pbs/dat...7687714222.pdf


    MSS1260T inductor:
    https://www.coilcraft.com/pdfs/mss1260t.pdf

    We appreciate that hand soldering would be fine for this replacement, but we are referring to the soldering of it in a reflow solder oven.
    RED is 7687714222 Inductor

    Blue is MSS1260T inductor

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	0 
Size:	4.4 KB 
ID:	142442

    If your paste setup is good enough, that spread paste uniformly and Pick N Place machine place component exactly on the center, then you will not be a victim of thermal inertia or tombstoning. Obviously, the actual component will be small enough as compared to the BLUE land pattern.

    Experts can help you better :)


    1 members found this post helpful.

    •   Alt11th November 2017, 09:46

      advertising

        
       

  3. #3
    Advanced Member level 5
    Points: 27,131, Level: 40
    Achievements:
    7 years registered

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    cambridge
    Posts
    5,696
    Helped
    433 / 433
    Points
    27,131
    Level
    40

    Re: SMD inductor on land pattern of different SMD inductor

    Thanks, i was figuring this should be common (making different smd inductors squat on pads of a different inductor)...after all, it would be highly expensive to get the PCB re-done......as you know, paste stencils for PCBs cost some £6000.



  4. #4
    Advanced Member level 4
    Points: 8,581, Level: 22

    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,335
    Helped
    543 / 543
    Points
    8,581
    Level
    22

    Re: SMD inductor on land pattern of different SMD inductor

    Quote Originally Posted by treez View Post
    it would be highly expensive to ...
    That's what you keep posting for months regarding your DALI project: you know your solutions are not ideal/correct, but want to get approval from this community that violating standards and rules doesn't matter. Then you go for the cheapest (not the correct) solution and surprise, your product fails all over the place.



  5. #5
    Member level 3
    Points: 1,664, Level: 9
    Achievements:
    7 years registered

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Posts
    56
    Helped
    6 / 6
    Points
    1,664
    Level
    9

    Re: SMD inductor on land pattern of different SMD inductor

    Quote Originally Posted by volker@muehlhaus View Post
    That's what you keep posting for months regarding your DALI project: you know your solutions are not ideal/correct, but want to get approval from this community that violating standards and rules doesn't matter. Then you go for the cheapest (not the correct) solution and surprise, your product fails all over the place.
    Yes Volker,

    Trade-offs mostly come with compromised quality.



  6. #6
    Super Moderator
    Points: 52,038, Level: 55
    Achievements:
    7 years registered
    Awards:
    Most Frequent Poster

    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    10,442
    Helped
    2486 / 2486
    Points
    52,038
    Level
    55

    Re: SMD inductor on land pattern of different SMD inductor

    Hi,

    ..as you know, paste stencils for PCBs cost some £6000.
    Why are the that expensive? Size?

    I assume there will be much cheaper...maybe you can run the first batch with low cost stencils and do the high volume with high quality stencils.

    The cheapest stencils I've seen are from pcb-pool.com they are free when you buy the PCBs from them.
    The quality is at least good enough for some tests.

    Klaus
    Please don´t contact me via PM, because there is no time to response to them. Thank you.



    •   Alt11th November 2017, 14:15

      advertising

        
       

  7. #7
    Member level 3
    Points: 1,664, Level: 9
    Achievements:
    7 years registered

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Posts
    56
    Helped
    6 / 6
    Points
    1,664
    Level
    9

    Re: SMD inductor on land pattern of different SMD inductor

    Quote Originally Posted by treez View Post
    Thanks, i was figuring this should be common (making different smd inductors squat on pads of a different inductor)...after all, it would be highly expensive to get the PCB re-done......as you know, paste stencils for PCBs cost some £6000.
    Dear Treez,

    I purchase Stencils from Hong Kong.

    PCB Size is 6UB.

    Use for following Essemtec Manual Printer
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AAA.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	65.8 KB 
ID:	142444

    It has 1156 Pin BGA of ball size 0.6mm and few small 84 Pins BGAs of ball size 0.45mm, It is a dense board with mostly 0402 Packages.

    This stencil give me about 1000 ( 1 Thousand ) cycles then I discard it.

    Material Stainless Steel.

    This cost me USD 300. ( 3 Hundred )



  8. #8
    Advanced Member level 5
    Points: 27,131, Level: 40
    Achievements:
    7 years registered

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    cambridge
    Posts
    5,696
    Helped
    433 / 433
    Points
    27,131
    Level
    40

    Re: SMD inductor on land pattern of different SMD inductor

    Thanks, so for a 150mm by 66mm all SMD PCB, the paste stencil would be about £500?
    It has many 0402 resistors on it. -As well as a 64 pin TQFP micro with 0.5mm pitch.
    Also it has five DPAK footprints with 0.3mm thermal vias in them.

    Our contractor tells us the tooling cost etc for a new PCB would be about £6000...is this wrong?

    The most expensive thing is the paste stencil?



  9. #9
    Super Moderator
    Points: 236,416, Level: 100
    Awards:
    1st Helpful Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Bochum, Germany
    Posts
    40,881
    Helped
    12493 / 12493
    Points
    236,416
    Level
    100

    Re: SMD inductor on land pattern of different SMD inductor

    Less than £50 for the stencil, may be £150 for a frame mounted stencil. Cheaper in Far East.



  10. #10
    Member level 3
    Points: 1,664, Level: 9
    Achievements:
    7 years registered

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Posts
    56
    Helped
    6 / 6
    Points
    1,664
    Level
    9

    Re: SMD inductor on land pattern of different SMD inductor

    Quote Originally Posted by treez View Post
    Thanks, so for a 150mm by 66mm all SMD PCB, the paste stencil would be about £500?
    It has many 0402 resistors on it. -As well as a 64 pin TQFP micro with 0.5mm pitch.
    Also it has five DPAK footprints with 0.3mm thermal vias in them.

    Our contractor tells us the tooling cost etc for a new PCB would be about £6000...is this wrong?

    The most expensive thing is the paste stencil?
    I don't know why but £6000 figure is way high .

    if you provide your paste layer, I can get you a sample quote. May be the manufacturer quote you the doorstep price. I do it thru some supplier between me and manufacturer.



  11. #11
    Advanced Member level 3
    Points: 6,313, Level: 18
    Achievements:
    7 years registered

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Lancashire UK.
    Posts
    932
    Helped
    232 / 232
    Points
    6,313
    Level
    18

    Re: SMD inductor on land pattern of different SMD inductor

    Where the hell do you get the figure of £6K from?
    Even a framed stencil should cost no more than +/-£250

    Have you tried Tecan?
    Before you ask - have you searched the forum? Have you searched Google? - Please do so.
    Please do not ask me in private - ask in public. Also please do not ask me to be a forum friend.
    If I have gone to the effort to help you etc then please have the decency to at least acknowledge it and do not just ask a question then never come back..



  12. #12
    Advanced Member level 5
    Points: 27,131, Level: 40
    Achievements:
    7 years registered

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    cambridge
    Posts
    5,696
    Helped
    433 / 433
    Points
    27,131
    Level
    40

    Re: SMD inductor on land pattern of different SMD inductor

    Thanks, is the paste stencil the most expensive thing in terms of the equipment etc needed to make a batch of new PCBs.?



    •   Alt12th November 2017, 18:15

      advertising

        
       

  13. #13
    Member level 3
    Points: 1,664, Level: 9
    Achievements:
    7 years registered

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Posts
    56
    Helped
    6 / 6
    Points
    1,664
    Level
    9

    Re: SMD inductor on land pattern of different SMD inductor

    Quote Originally Posted by treez View Post
    Thanks, is the paste stencil the most expensive thing in terms of the equipment etc needed to make a batch of new PCBs.?
    Not in our case, as we run USD 300 Stencil per 1000 PCBs. Comparing to our Product sales, it costs us nothing.



--[[ ]]--