Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What does ALIAS block mean in a RTL schematic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shmoib

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
xilinx rtl schematic alias

dear all,
when i run synthesize for my VHDL code and check its RTL schematic on ISE6.2i i found some blocks called 'ALIAS', does that mean anything wrong?

i attached the RTL schematic

Re: synthesize

u should share the schematic file instead of the word file...

so mayb we can run compilation/simulation to check for u...

regards,
sp

here is the code, it also contain the same problem althought it is very simple

actually i cant c any block name "alias" in ur provided doc....can u?..too small..cant c the block name..

i read the code...it is simple one....n it shouldnt hav any error....

i try compile using quartus 2(sorry, i dunno how-to on xilinx) no error found...
and the RTL i get is...see att whether it match urs...

shmoib

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

thnks for ur help, but when i synthesize it on ISE of xilinix i found that alias
anyway, i need u to check this code for me too, as i got same problems with it

Is the synthesizer inferring FSMs ?

I generally get ALIAS signals on the RTL schematics when I build FSMs. This is normal.

yes, i got same problem with FSM but i got same problem too with that simple code that i posted here

sorry,,,i dunno wad is the "ALIAS" signal means.... so cannot help... can anyone explain...

hehe,,,too bad,,,

regards,
sp

shmoib

As I don't have a RAR program handy at the moment, I looked at the Word file. There is nothing wrong with the ALIAS signals. What you're getting is normal.

An "alias" is an alternate name. The RTL circuit is an FSM. The signals don't correspond to VHDL signal names. The name of the signal is actually the name of an enumeration that was used to define a state in the HDL code.

For example, if you define several states:

type dev_state is (idle, run, done);

then VHDL defines idle, run, and done as constants - not signals.

The synthesizer infers from your coding style that these constants are being used to drive an FSM, and they are translated into actual signals with an assumed name (an alias), which is the same as the state name.

shmoib

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back