Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Braking resistor for IM drives (regenerative power)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nabil2018

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Braking resistor for IM drive ( regenerative power)

Hello and good day

I am facing big issue in the Induction motor drive system. I am using IM drive system with three phase inverter and three phase 2hp induction motor with Dspace 1104 .I am running the motor at rated speed 1400 rpm with 540vdc coming from rectifier . I am using 4 capacitor as filter circuit. My problem when i reverse the motor speed ,my IGBT always shorten ,I suspect the regenerative power coming from the motor,so i installed 8 resistor with 2.1K 5 watt to absorb the regenerative power,however this effects the drive system in the motoring mode it broke the igbt at 400 vdc .So i dont know what resistor value i should select and what wattage in order to prevent the regenrative power and doest affects the drive in the motoring mode.
please advice me in selecting the right braking resistor for my drive .this delaying my graduation for master degree (two years already).

Re: braking resistor for IM drive ( regenerative power)

so i installed 8 resistor with 2.1K 5 watt to absorb the regenerative power
The resistor value doesn't make much sense, how did you connect it?

however this effects the drive system in the motoring mode it broke the igbt at 400 vdc
How?

Generally, a brake resistor should be able to absorb the full dynamic energy of the drive and must be controlled by a braking chopper so that it only dissipates power while the motor recuperates.

In any case, the inverter needs a bus overvoltage protection that disables the output switches if the bus voltage exceeds a safe value.

Need Urgent Help (braking resistor ) Inuction motor drive

I am facing big issue in the Induction motor drive system. I am using IM drive system with three phase inverter and three phase 2hp induction motor with Dspace 1104 .I am running the motor at rated speed 1400 rpm with 540vdc coming from rectifier . I am using 4 capacitor as filter circuit. My problem when i reverse the motor speed ,my IGBT always shorten ( The IGBT rate is 1.2kv and 75A),while in motoring mode the drive system can run perfectly at 540vdc and ONLY trip if i reverse the speed from +1400 to -1400 rpm .
I suspect the regenerative power coming from the motor,so i installed 8 resistor with 2.1K 5 watt to absorb the regenerative power,however this effects the drive system in the motoring mode( forward speed) it broke the igbt at 400 vdc .So i dont know what resistor value i should select and what wattage in order to prevent the regenrative power and doest affects the drive in the motoring mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.