Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Power Supply Labeling Requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.

techy101

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
So this feels like a silly question to be asking, but I'm honestly a bit stumped. I'm in the US and have a device that uses an internal IPD srp-40a-3002 power supply, which is listed as a 40W power supply. My understanding is that this is the output power rating.

The device must have a label indicating the power consumption and I'm unclear as to whether you can just say 40W or if it needs to be something else. Since this is the max output power, it should draw more than 40W at full load correct? If so, is that the number that needs to be calculated and marked on the device label? I'm pretty new to the regulatory side of this, so please be gentle.

Thank you

Absolutely correct, the required information for any electronic apparatus, is bare minimum its input power, its input voltage range, and if AC powered, its input frequency range.

Having said this, power supplies will also list the output voltage and current ranges. Some PSUs may not have square SOAs. In that instance, the maximum output power must be also be listed.

Input and output will be different. If you look at the datasheet on that psu you will find that depending on model they are between .66 and .80 efficient. The 40 watts is output capability only. Actual input power will be higher than 40 watts. If psu is supplying all the power to device then maybe you could just use info on datasheet.

Status
Not open for further replies.