Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Shielding for the MIM capacitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shanmei

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Fig. A is the normal MIM capacitor which is formed by metal 4 and metal 5.

Should I add the shield metal 3 as shown in Fig. B to isolate the parasitic capacitance and noise? Thanks.

11.jpg

Re: Shileding for the MIM capacitor

Depends on the function of this MIM. And if you need the space below it for other circuitry.

I prefer the performance, in this case, I have a lot of areas. Thanks.

Should I add the shield metal 3 as shown in Fig. B to isolate the parasitic capacitance and noise?

If you create it as shown, this will increase the capacitive coupling to the substrate.

Then Fig. A is the better solution, right?

The zero potential voltage of the substrate could decouple the noise, and it is also far away from the metal 4, then less parasitic capacitance from metal 4. Thanks.

What you draw is normally called MOM (Metal-Oxide-Metal) capacitor - when plates are formed by the "normal" metal layers.
MIM capacitor uses special, thin metal layer(s) in between normal metal layers.

I'd prefer to add a Patterned and Grounded Polysilicon to increase the Met4-to-SUBS parasitic effects.
It's been using since long time underneath the Coils to decrease the EDDY current effect to increase the Q factor.The same principle may work too..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back