Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

UL single fault conditions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bestboy4

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
So I have a board going through UL. UL claims that since it is over 15W that it needs to go through "special" testing. It is based on the 60730-1 standard (annex H.27). Apparently this gives them the license to short or open random components on the board (one at a time) to induce a fault. I have been an engineer for over 10 years and have never heard of such a test for industrial controls.

In my particular case, they removed a resistor in my 5V switcher circuit that sets the output voltage. When this occurs the output goes negative and causes a nice flame out of the my CAN transceiver. :bang:

Has anyone here have any experience with this UL requirement?

The thread below refers to similar UL tests. While designing a furnace igniter, the member was told he needed to solve various failure modes which occurred when shorting or opening any component. (It is discussed in the last 2 or 3 pages of the thread.) A testing department claimed such tests were typical at UL, and the design would not pass UL standards.

https://www.edaboard.com/showthread.php?t=256691

Single fault tolerance means in the present case that you need a means to protect the connected circuit against power supply failure, e.g. a TVS diode and a fuse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back