Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Which DAC Type Is Good For Reference Voltage

Status
Not open for further replies.

strahd_von_zarovich

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi everyone,

I want to produce reference voltage with fine steps for my fiber-optic amplifier(EDFA). Should I use 24-bit DAC or is there anything for this purpose. I don't need sinusoidal waveforms, programmable constant voltage is what I need.

Thanks in advance.

Canberk

Hi,

How can we know?

It depends on your requirements:
* precision
* resolution
* speed
* digital interface
* output signal
* ...and so on

I doubt that you need 24 bits of resolution.

Klaus

Hi,

How can we know?

It depends on your requirements:
* precision
* resolution
* speed
* digital interface
* output signal
* ...and so on

I doubt that you need 24 bits of resolution.

Klaus

Hi Klaus you are right, actually even my title is wrong, because I am not sure about that if DAC is ideal choice for this problem.

My requirements are I2C digital interface and 24bit resolution(requested from me) . Speed and precision requirements are not given. Output of the DAC must be DC coupled with 0V to 2V range.

Canberk

I2C interface DACs are available form major manufacturers up to 16 bit resolution. I would expect that's sufficient for the application.

Hi,

Please review your requirements:
* 0..2V range
* "precision requirements are not given"
* 24 bit resolution

--> 24bit at 2V range make a stepsize of 0.000000119 V/LSB.

It makes no sense, because other erros in your circuit will be at least a factor of 100 higher. (noise, thermal drift, aging, resistor tolerance... )

selection guide:
* go to a DAC manufacturer´s internet site and use the interactive DAC selection guide
* go to a distributor´s internet site and use the interactive DAC selection guide

Klaus

When one is working with 24 bit ADC or DAC resolution, the PWBA layout and the location of the components within the layout become critical.

Without additional information, I also don’t see the need for 24 bits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back