Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Energy direction in an electronic circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

huiguode

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
When I entered the title, some of the same problems came up for my reference. I didn't find a clear answer, so I sent this post.
I've been reading a number of materials trying to understand the physics that allow electricity to be possible. I'm confused by this virtual positive [charged] particle (often called a test particle) that is used to explain the direction/properties of an electric field and thus the movement of energy in a circuit.

Specifically, I recognize that the energy is loaded onto this virtual positive particle by the virtue that Work and thus a gain of Energy is required for the positive particle to move from the anode side of the battery back to the cathode side of the battery (where the energized ions are present). From this point the positive particle (now energized and at the point of high energy at the cathode) move to the point of low energy (the anode) offloading their energy onto a load which transforms it into some other form of energy (thermal in the case of a short circuit or resistor load).

I'm curious though how does this positive particle move in any direction? With a classic electronic circuit (copper wires) the electrons are the charge carriers and thus form the charge highway/sea of electrons allowing energy to move (in response to a induced electric field). i.e electrons move, atoms/ions do not.

Is this simply a convention (much like conventional current vs electron current) in that the ions are not moving but the illusion is given that they are by virtue of the electrons moving and leaving holes/positive charges in their wake (in the opposite direction)? Is so why was it chosen instead of using a negative charged particle and thus being easily traceable by the movement of electrons?
Thanks for your good suggestions.

I don't exactly understand what the problem is. Energy flows if charge is transported across a potential difference. The energy direction is given by the sign of the product Q*delta V, no matter if negative or positive charge carriers are involved.

There is a good story going back to Benjamin Franklin (famous for numerous accomplishments). He performed early experiments with electricity, and formulated theories.
As he tried to figure out which direction electric current travels, he 'guessed' that it moves from a positive terminal to a negative terminal. His guess became the popular convention (even though we understand electrons to be the negative charge). Nevertheless we are able to make electricity and electronics work for us.

We are able to think in terms of 'current holes'. It is not crucial whether Ben guessed wrong. One of the few cases where we really do need to think in terms of electron flow, is the electron beam used in cathode ray tubes. Another example: it is easier for me to grasp the workings of an NPN transistor when I see diagrams of current going into the base, instead of electrons withdrawn from the base. N devices tend to be introduced first in primers about semiconductors.

V

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.