Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Finding a solution to pass ATEX Rules ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

hm_fa_da

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I'm currently designing a remote reading system which uses GSM module inside.
The device is going to pass for ATEX Zone 1 at least. IIC group.

I have some ideas and would be glad to know your comments.

The GSM module needs about 3.6-4.2V to work fine, consider it 4V.
The power source of the device is only battery inside the box, no other external power supply.
I use 3.6V Lithium battery (ATEX verified).
If i just use the battery voltage directly for GSM module, it's on low edge of working voltage. or in cold environment, the battery voltage may drop more ...
So i prefer to use a better and more stable solution to supply 4V for GSM module:

Solution 1:
I use two batteries in series, it makes 7.2V, and then i use LDO for GSM module. the problem is in this way i can't use high capacity capacitor for GSM module (Max permitted C for 7.2V is 13.5uF) and it gets problem on 2A surge current drawn by GSM module. it needs high capacitor near to module ...
In this situation i think a solution is to use GSM module and the LDO circuit in a separate small box and go for compound encapsulation method not IS for this part ! i saw this solution in an ATEX passed device. they used up to 3000uF capacitor for GSM inside the small encapsulated plastic box.
I think this way i even can use Buck switching regulator (with inductors and capacitors which are out of permitted value in I.S method) inside the encapsulated box without problem, is it true ?

Solution 2:
I just use 1 x 3.6 Lithium battery, then i use a step up booster with 4V output (To be sure if battery voltage drops, The module still works) ! the booster needs only 4.7uH inductor. for 4V Voltage, with safety factor of 1.5, the maximum permitted capacitance is 600uF which is enough for my purpose.

I even can use merged solution of 1 and 2 for better safety, i mean i use solution 2 inside the compound encapsulated box ...

I'd be thankful to know your comments.

- - - Updated - - -

For solution 2, I also found a booster chip which needs less than 1uH inductor. the stored energy would be 8uJ (less than permitted 40uJ) with 4A current through inductor ...

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back