Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Super simple Ni-MH charger, how it works?

Status
Not open for further replies.

neazoi

Advanced Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I found on the internet a guy who has reverse engineered one of these USB Ni-MH cheap chargers. It's circuit is shown below.
I have 4 questions:

1. How does it work?
2. Will it stop the battery from charging when it is fully charged?
3. What is the charging current for the values shown?
4. I need to charge a 750mAh AAA Ni-MH battery, how many hours should I wait to get charged with these values?

I won't expect any kind of performance and the battery may be mischarged, but will it really work without exploding the battery?

Attachments

• Super-SimpleNiMhCharger.png
    Super-SimpleNiMhCharger.png
    14.2 KB · Views: 151

1. I doubt it does, at least properly.
2. It doesn't.
3. Depends on the battery but as much as about 0.25 A.
4. If you assume a C/10 charge rate, about 15 minutes but much longer might make it explode.

I think the schematic may be wrong or it could be using a constant current LED. It certainly will not work safely as it is. As far as I can tell, D1 and R2 are there to divert some of the LED current so it dims as the voltage across the LED reduces but there is nothing to control the charge rate or cut it when the battery is fully charged.

Brian.

1. I doubt it does, at least properly.
2. It doesn't.
3. Depends on the battery but as much as about 0.25 A.
4. If you assume a C/10 charge rate, about 15 minutes but much longer might make it explode.

I think the schematic may be wrong or it could be using a constant current LED. It certainly will not work safely as it is. As far as I can tell, D1 and R2 are there to divert some of the LED current so it dims as the voltage across the LED reduces but there is nothing to control the charge rate or cut it when the battery is fully charged.

Brian.

Hm, 0.25A seems too high, it is a usb charger anyway.
I will use it in my portable active antenna attached. I have already include it in the schematic, as I did not know that it wouldn't work.
I have found the DS2711 but this is a much more complex circuit for the low space available in the antenna enclosure.

What if I just include a diode and a series resistor and let the battery charge in very low current (say 20mA or so)? There will be no indication of the charging state, not any cut off, but I can instruct the user that he can manually remove the charger after 6 hours (or more) and the battery won't get hot (safer).
I do not mind to have the battery fully charge.
Any ideas?

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 98

Hm, 0.25A seems too high
This chrager will provide 0.220 A current for most commonly available NiMH batteries if led resistance is 13 ohms. Many USB chargers operate between 0.5-0.9 A as well. Rest all quotes from betwixt.

Reactions: neazoi

neazoi

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
... but bear in mind that most 5mm LEDs won't last for long at 0.22A, it is about 10 x their normal rating!. Big high power ones may drop too much voltage to work anyway.

Removing the 1N4001 and 1K resistor will make no difference to the battery charging and increasing the 10 Ohm resistor to 150 Ohms will limit the charging current to about 25mA which should make it safe to leave charging all the time without overheating. It will of course increase the time to charge fully to several hours.

Brian.

Reactions: neazoi

neazoi

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.