Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to find direction of signal travel in a given circuit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

matrixofdynamism

Advanced Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am analysing signals used by a game console to communicate with a controller. I want to find out which signals are unidirectional and which way they communicate and which signals are bidirectional and which way they communicate at what time.

What circuit should I use to find this out while the communication is taking place? Basically the communication wires shall pass through this circuit as when the system is powered up with scope probe and logic analyser and stuff. I have not been able to come up with a method that shall let the communication take place simultaneously as I monitor the direction.

The voltage levels are 3.3V and thus current will be small. The frequency is only a few MHz at most.

You need a logic analyzer for this. I can't think of any way to check without one.
A logic analyzer will almost certainly tell you everything but if you need to check signal direction, the only method is to break the line and insert an open-drain or open-collector buffer across the break. It will stop it working in one direction but that will allow you to confirm which end is sending and which is receiving.

Brian.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back