Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Voltage stabilizers in PC UPS/ SMPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

garvind25

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi there,

I wanted to know if PC UPS and/or SMPS have in-built voltage stabilizers? I am asking as twice the 12v IC in my PC motherboard has burnt within 2 weeks. So I am suspecting if something is wrong with the power supply to the system. If the answer is no, then what is the operating voltage range (in general) for a 600 VA UPS and a 500W SMPS pls.?

Thanks and Regards,

Arvind Gupta

Hi,
If the answer is no, then what is the operating voltage range (in general) for a 600 VA UPS and a 500W SMPS pls.?
Look into the manual or on the rating plate.

Klaus

Do you mean ac mains voltage stabiliser? So far I have noticed, the SMPS availavle in India do not provide ac mains stabilisation. However most Indian UPS meant for Computer invariably provide ac mains stabilisation by way of changing taps of transformer.

However most Indian UPS meant for Computer invariably provide ac mains stabilisation by way of changing taps of transformer.

Pls clarify this point. Did you mean that an Indian UPS (in general) will automatically provide ac mains stabilization? In other words, if this is true, then I am already getting some type of AC mains stabilization for the input to the SMPS? (if so, then I will start looking for the cause of the problem from elsewhere). And thanks for your reply.

Arvind Gupta

Did you mean that an Indian UPS (in general) will automatically provide ac mains stabilization?

Yes. UPS available in Indian market will automatically provide ac mains stabilization. It is not a question of true or imagination, just apply ac mains to the UPS by VARIAC and see the working.

OK just one more clarification. What are the lower and upper voltage values permissible for an UPS? The sticker of my UPS is not there anymore for the information.

And thanks again.
Arvind Gupta

It is not same for every UPS. You may take a note of the lower and upper limit of your UPS applying ac mains by means of VARIAC. Beyond the upper and lower limit, the UPS will go to back-up mode.

I dont have a VARIAC a home ......:-(

Status
Not open for further replies.