Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Open source software for designing control panels

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArtemZhukov

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear community,

We're looking for a help to figure out which software tool to use.

We're designing an industrial control panels
Screenshot from 2017-10-20 09-20-19.png

Some properties we need:
1. Electrical calculations (i.e. max current etc.)
2. Create schemes based on entitites database
3. Calculation of the electrical panels dimensions
4. It is parametric (changing one parameter, leads to recalculation of other, if they connected)
5. BOM, Schemes, Drawings

Ideally it should have python API, be able to dockerize and use as a web server.

I do not know the answer but the idea is great. I have seen people struggle with fat wires (should I say rods?) that have to be bent in a tight space to go into a particular hole without touching a near one...

Layout, working space and ease of working should be prime concern. The top glass should be very easily replaceable and the mounting hardware should be simple.

Should meet all standard safety regulations, of course!

Please let me know if you find one.

I'll recomend to develop your own html,js based website on wordpress or some other forum (wordpress requires least experience with json parsing using API's). For advanced calculations, schematics you have to develop an advanced solution using multiple open source softwares. I don't think a spoon-feed for your required customzation'll be available in a single software. Hope this helps, let us know your progress as well. :???::???:

I too would love some software to do this, even better that its free.
However I do not think it's going to happen any time soon - here is why.

Yes you can use some CAD software, library objects (blocks) for the PLC's, relays, modules etc. and drag them into a design to do the circuit diagram, even the same for placement within a specified panel
of which you can draw standard size enclosures, their chassis plates, clearances etc. ready for you to add the items however things like this are often more bespoke, the customer rarely wants the same - they always want to add this or that, not pay for xx module as they will not use it so you have to remove it from the design.

Your software needs to be able to cater for all this, and when it does YAY, the day after someone will come along and ask for something that it will not cater for.
Back to the drawing board.

1) For calculations use a attribute field etc. on the blocks you bring into the design, run a report that lists them all and sums them up. (probably wont work- just use a calculator).
2) As mentioned above, an AutoCad type program (there are many) that allows you to make blocks\symbols\parts etc. to add into your designs.
3) The above program ought to be able to identify the size of a box drawn around your symbols, this you fit into a standard box size or you have to design your own.
4) Let me know if you get a free parametric capable CAD package.
5) Most programs that can output a report can usually enable you to create a BOM.

I am looking at "PCschematic Automation 40" as it allows free use upto a certain amount, however I cannot get my head around making symbols in it yet (not spent enough time) so cannot evaluate if its what I want, as I want to do similar tasks in recording the electrical and sometimes mechanical layout of some similar designs.

I may just end up doing it all in CADSTAR (A PCB design program) because I know that thoroughly, once I planned the tiling on my bathroom using it down to the picture tiles, half tiles etc. (looked good when finished :) )
That however is not free.

Please keep us informed what you find in the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back