Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

USB programming of Xilinx CPLDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

garvind25

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I wanted to make a USB programmable CPLD project. While searching on the internet, I came across FTDI ICs. But as I understand, I will require some sort of drivers to be installed in the programmable PC along with it. Is there any other way to program a CPLD IC (Xilinx) without having to use a driver in the PC (something like a parallel port JTAG programmer which can be used simply by connecting to the CPLD board and interfacing through ISE ).

Looking forward to your replies.

Thanking You,
Arvind Gupta

Hi,

some OS already support the FTDI chips. That means as soon as you connect the IC to the USB, then the OS knows which driver to use.
It may look for drivers on the PC or it may look for drivers via internet.

On the other hand it is really simple to install the drivers by hand.
Look at https://www.ftdichip.com/FTDrivers.htm.
Usually you need the VCP drivers.

We work a lot with FTDI ICs. Without problems.

Klaus

Thanks for the reply. Yes, it seems simple to select, download and install the required driver for me. I intend to make and give the hardware to people who are absolute beginners in electronics domain. So selecting and installing proper driver may add to one level of complexity (I want to use USB interface due to their speed of operation). Hence re-asking if you know any method for usb programming a CPLD IC without having to use drivers and 3rd party softwares (something like plug and play feature of the parallel port programming cable -- nowadays every PC having a parallel port would have its driver installed in it by default).

Regards,
Arvind Gupta

Hi,

the problem is, that parallel port is mature. Only a few modern PC have parallel ports. You may install an extra one - then usually you need to install the driver, too.
Almost none laptop computer has a parallel port. And USB-toparallel bridges cause more problems than benefit - when for downloading PLD.

When you allow users to program a PLD, then this should be no novice with PC, anyway.

Maybe you could build your own programmer or maybe there is a ready to buy one. Some kind of SVF-player or XSVF-player...but I think they need software, too.

Klaus

OK, you have a point there. Yes, anyone programming a PLD will not be a basic user. And I suppose, the driver has to be installed once only. So my next query is :-o. How do I add USB based programability feature in my hardware? I have never done that before. So here is my guess; pls see if it is correct. I need to select a simple USB UART IC, interface it with the CPLD JTAG ports, provide the UART IC with an USB female connector & power supply, install the corresponding driver (as per the OS type) on the PC, make a HDL code in ISE, generate the programming file and the device will get detected once I open impact (so that I can program it) ? If I am wrong anywhere / missing something, do tell me and yes, pls. suggest some simple UART IC for the purpose + how to interface it with CPLD JTAG port.

Thanks again,
Arvind Gupta

Hi,

generally UART and JTAG are different things. Don´t expect every UART chip supports JTAG.

But some FTDI chips do (but I´m not sure if this can be done with usual VCP drivers). At ftdichip.com you will find enough informations.

Klaus

OK. Then which ICs I should be using for interfacing a CPLD with USB port. Pls. name the simplest ones.

Thanks and Regards,
Arvind Gupta

Hi,

Sorry, I will not do your job.
I told you to look at FTDI. It´s not easier for me than for you.

Klaus

Why don't you just buy a development board and be done with it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back