Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Did anyone ever use vertical Launch SMA before?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jessica53

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi!

I have this VLF40-002 vertical launch SMA. It seems strange to me that the grounding ring is around the contact and is almost on the same height.

Would it be easy for the ground ring touch the tline and ground the whole thing? If I'm using a CPW line, should I avoid the contact between ground ring and ground plane?

Thank you so much in advance. I really appreciate it.

vlf40002.png

This looks like a field replaceable SMA. This is only part of the connector. There is another part that goes in the chassis and connects to your circuit.

These are often used to excite PCB circuits. Ask the manufacturer for a typical footprint. If you have a CPW line you probably will want a similar connector that has a cut out to avoid shorting the driven trace. Or consider an edge launch SMA.

The datasheet shows the intended PCB interface for the compression mount connector family. It's only useful if the center pin connects to a via.

PCB interface.png

I agree with the comment above. The question was posed in a way to constrain the transmission line to CPW where the driven and side grounds are all in the same plane. Variants of the connector you showed exist with a small cut out that allow "surface mounting" without shorting the line. Vias are another solution but the line is no longer CPW.

U.FL surface mount connectors have modifications to the bottom that allow them to be used directly on a CPW. I am definitely not suggesting that the U. FL will perform like a SMA. I bring it up as it is relatively easy to get details and see the configuration I described.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back