Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Simulation of a microstrip line

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sravan1541

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello guys,
I am designing a micro-strip line for 2.4 GHz in HFSS. I have found the trace width for 50 Ohm using the impedance calculator. I wanted to verify through simulation. I used waveports on both ends. And when I look into the S11, I can see that it increases with frequency and its below 20 dB. That's fine, but when I look into Z11, the real part is not 50 Ohm, and varies with frequency ? Can someone explain me if the way i am looking at the line impedance coorect ?

By definition, Z11 is the input impedance with all other ports open. So with Z11, you are looking into the open ended line.

So how can I be able to find the exact line impedance or see if the impedance is matched ?

You can derive the input impedance from S11 (which assumes all other ports matched).

Alternatively, in HFSS, you can simply look at the modal impedance, Zo(1) or Zo(2).

Status
Not open for further replies.