Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Hall sensor diagnostic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex2525

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi i have a camshaft position sensor that is a hall sensor. I am having trouble to find a mechanic to fix it. The troubleshooting manual ask for this test: With the sensor disconnected from the wires Measuring from ground to the 5 volts reference wire and Then from the low reference wires which is ground to the 5 volts wire, these wires tested ok.
Then the manual ask for a test at the signal wire using a tool to measure signal which I don't have.
Using the comun sense I tried to measure that signal wire voltage putting a piece of metal close and Away from the sensor to simulate the engine function. that worked. the voltage changed from 0 to 5 volts.
what is confusing me is that i have 5 volts from ground to the signal wire With the sensor unplugged from the wires.
I follow this signal wires all the way to the ecm and cut it at the ecm plug and still got the same reading 5.3 volts. This lead me to think i have a faulty ecm.
But wanted to be sure i am not confusing how a hall sensor works. Thank you guys any help will be really appreciated. Alex.

In conclusion, I have 5 V at the 5 v reference wire
I have ground at the low reference wire
And I have 5.3 v at the signal wire with the sensor being disconnected from the plug...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back