Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Driving motor and simulation

Status
Not open for further replies.

franticEB

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
I work as inverter and dc / dc designer, but I'm new in three-phase motors' subject.
I should make a project sketched in the figure.

3phinv.jpg

the characteristics of the motors are in the picture.
I say the pilot will be in open loop.

how are the discrete components (MOS or igbt) dimensioned in terms of current, voltage, and dissipated power ?
To supply the three-phase bridge of what DC voltage value do I need?
What amount of power Should DC / DC has to supply?
How can I simulate the motor without having the parameters described in the model provided by spice, but only those of the figure?

Thanks any advice / lesson about it is well accepted.

Re: driving motor and simulation

Find the PSpice models on mfr's web site for something
of appropriate voltage and current rating.

This is not a DC-DC, it's a 3-phase inverter (DC-AC).
You show no rectifier stage however (AC-DC).

You should be able to find 3-phase inverter project
inverter examples on the Web, to crib from. Suggest
you start with TI, ON, Linear Tech, Intersil, IXYS,
Power Integrations (I'm sure there are more) and see
what they've got supporting their controller IC products.
I'f bet that between them you can even find eval board
(buy, or just rip off the schematic and BOM).

Are you looking for a method to convert single-phase AC to 3-phase AC? It will not be easy, unless your power spec is very low.

Are you looking for a method to convert single-phase AC to 3-phase AC?
No, this in not my question. I've to do a DC/AC converter.

- - - Updated - - -

Find the PSpice models on mfr's web site
what is "mfr's web site"?

This is not a DC-DC, it's a 3-phase inverter (DC-AC).

i've to design also a dc/dc as shown in the figure.

the characteristics of the motors are in the picture.
There are two voltages, 220 V and 380 V. Which one you will use? Voltage can affect to component selection. Interesting motor for VFD as nominal speed is different for Y and delta.
how are the discrete components (MOS or igbt) dimensioned in terms of current, voltage, and dissipated power ?
Possible IGBT's are typically rated for 600 V and 1200 V. For 380 V use 1200 V device. About current rating, I would assume that one wants to have a certain junction temperature at a specified load. Current rating, device package, switching frequency and cooling arrangement are at least items to consider
To supply the three-phase bridge of what DC voltage value do I need?
Minimum for 380 VAC connection is 380 V/sqrt(2) which is about 538 VDC. This assumes space vector modulation or sinusoidal pwm + third harmonic injection. Increase DC level to account voltage losses.
What amount of power Should DC / DC has to supply?
I would guess motor shaft power + motor losses + inverter losses. Something like 800 W/0,7=1140 W for 220 V connection.
How can I simulate the motor without having the parameters described in the model provided by spice, but only those of the figure?
Use something like induction motor equivalent circuit is. Leakage reactance, magnetizing inductance and a resistor. Resistor value sets the active current. Check that no load current and power factor are reasonable. It was not mentioned, so I assume a pump or fan type load where it is enough to model max speed/load.

Actually, you do not have a star-delta connection; you simply start with a low voltage and go to full specified voltage once the motor picks up speed.

For a star connection, you will need a neutral which you will not have in the above configuration. Just reduce the voltage during the start phase. 800W is not much and it should not be difficult using any standard microprocessor.

By the way, 220V single phase will be close to 400V in the three phase (in single phase 220V is RMS for 1 phase with ref to the ground and for the three phase it is 400V RMS for phase to phase). So you need not bother about two diff voltages.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.