Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Pads PCB DOS won't open

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmcox

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have been using the DOS version of PADS forever. Keep a DOS computer just for that.
Today, the program won't launch. Error message "can't find data base info file c:\pcb\usr.ln exiting"
That file does exist. I copied a backup for all the libraries, and get the same message.

Mentor Graphics should give you a prize of " All Time PADS Lover.." :clap:
I have been in the Industry since 1977, I have never heard "PADS for DOS". So, man learns something everyday.. ;-)

Mentor Graphics should give you a prize of " All Time PADS Lover.." :clap:
I have been in the Industry since 1977, I have never heard "PADS for DOS". So, man learns something everyday.. ;-)

I have been using it since the early 80s. The schematic program is Schema by Omation. Great programs. Pads integrated the
Schema net list so you can forward and back eco. I also use Wordstar on the DOS box.

As a one man consulting business, I couldn't afford to upgrade to the Windows versions. DOS code is compact and fast.
One other problem is that it can't export any file types except Gerber. It also is constrained to an Epson compatible Dot Matrix
printer for output. I have 2 Canon BJ200 ink jets. If I need to share schematics, assembly or other drawings, I have to print them and then
scan to PDFs. The schematic captures look great, and I can output BOMs.

The other problem is that I have hundreds of custom schematic elements and decals that I have designed and drawn over the
years, and at 73 years old, I am not up to starting over.

Anyway, I fixed the problem. Must have been a corrupted DOS system. Pads and other programs couldn't find files in other directories.
I am still working, but if my DOS box dies, I may have to retire (or shoot myself.)

Maybe your DOS computer is old enough to start having bad sectors on the disk?

Did you run SCANDISK? Command it to look for errors on the first try but not fix them. You want to find out if you have bad sectors first, then fix them.

Do other programs launch from the same disk? If they also give trouble then you have a larger problem, possible disk corruption, FAT corruption, etc.

One way to handle this type of problem is to install the program in a newly created folder. Before doing so, rename your existing 'pcb' folder to something like pcbold.

If the file is there but it can't find it, check the DOS search path and make sure it hasn't lost the route to find the files.

Brian.

You can run DOS or an older Windows OS with full DOS support as virtual machine in Virtual Box or VMware player.

Hello rmcox,
DOSBox should work running your proggie.
It can be used up to Win 10.
It can be configured: CPU speeds, Graphics, EMS etc in a simple Notepad file.
Regards,
Relayer

All good suggestions guys, thanks.
I will run scandisk, and I also plan to add another hard driver as a backup.
PADS doesn't need the path directive, as it knows where to find the files.
As far as a Dos box, I have tried that, but as both the schematic capture program and PADs
have built-in printer drivers, I can't print.
Anyway, as I said, the problem is now fixed after reloading all of DOS.
Don't know which file fixed it.

The old DOS programs usually physically manipulated output ports, which is a "no-no" from Windows 2000 on. This would cause "access errors" on any emulator running on later Windows releases.

The old DOS programs usually physically manipulated output ports, which is a "no-no" from Windows 2000 on. This would cause "access errors" on any emulator running on later Windows releases.

Correct, which is why I can't print. Wonder if a USB to parallel port converter would work?
Then plug the correct printer to the port?

Wonder if a USB to parallel port converter would work?
None of the usual products emulates hardware LPT port. It's however possible to enable direct LPT access for user mode programs by special kernel drivers. PC-Card or Express-Card adapters for notebook computers with real LPT port are available, LPT adapters for desktop computers anyway. I've also seen a project that emulates LPT port through USB and Cypress processor, with respective kernel drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back