Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Intialization of SDRAM DDR2 memory in Xilinx tools

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taki_comp

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I would like to know how can initialize the content of DDR2 memory using xilinx tools ? my purpose is to load to static images to the memory before starting its operation, meaning initialzing different memory locations with different pixel values.

I would like to know how can initialize the content of DDR2 memory using xilinx tools ? my purpose is to load to static images to the memory before starting its operation, meaning initialzing different memory locations with different pixel values.

You can't initialize a DDR2 memory device unless you mean writing to it after the Xilinx FPGA is configured, after the DDR2 controller has finished calibration, and there is supporting code to write the initial data into the DDR2.

what about flash memory ? I am using digilent Atlys board

You can't initialize external memory devices using Xilinx tools, you have to design logic to write to the device after configuration and after any FPGA controller IP core initialization.

The board appears to have a QSPI flash for configuration. IIRC, iMpact did have a way to program arbitrary data -- normally an OS -- as well as the normal .bit file. The tools program the FPGA with a minimal build that has the jtag to config-pins interface. You would still need to read the image from flash and write to RAM.

--edit: it looks like the board manufacturer's programming tool also allows you to write data files to the flash in addition to the normal programming file.

The board appears to have a QSPI flash for configuration. IIRC, iMpact did have a way to program arbitrary data -- normally an OS -- as well as the normal .bit file. The tools program the FPGA with a minimal build that has the jtag to config-pins interface. You would still need to read the image from flash and write to RAM.

--edit: it looks like the board manufacturer's programming tool also allows you to write data files to the flash in addition to the normal programming file.

why would I still need read images from the flash and write to RAM ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back