Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

High voltage high frequency power suppy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jadeit

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I need advice design schematics for power supply.
Input voltage 12V
output voltage 6kV may by 10kV
power aroud 3 - 5W
switching frequency min 1MHz ideal 2MHz.

Can you help me?

12VDC > H bridge > step up transformer > charge pump

Selection of the charge pump components will be the most critical factor. You could try using silicon devices with many states (>10), or SiC devices with less stages (<10).

I hope you have experience in HV circuits before, otherwise you are putting at least yourself in danger.

Intended switching frequency seems unreasonably high for kV level.

Certainly for a single stage design it would be infeasible. For multistage charge pumps, I don't see any major issues (safety aside).

Though I am skeptical as to the requirement for >1MHz operation...

It depends on whether the output voltage is AC or DC and whether the 3-5W is at the output or input.

At 2MHz, if AC is needed, it should be possible to use a class B/C single ended driver and step-up transformer.

Brian.

It depends on whether the output voltage is AC or DC and whether the 3-5W is at the output or input.

At 2MHz, if AC is needed, it should be possible to use a class B/C single ended driver and step-up transformer.

Brian.
Then you're basically talking about a mini tesla coil, or a plasma generator...

For clarification, I need AC output and Power is output on HV side

In that case your problem is going to be building a transformer that can tolerate such high voltages without arcing. What is your load?

The load is an sparks chamber. for gas flow ionization.
The transformers are also doing at a higher voltage than 6kV,
the question is a high-voltage transformer of small dimensions with a resonant frequency in MHz.
I find for example this page picture on this page are dead and color rendering is for the blind, but author realize Tesla resonator on 3.84Mhz. Tesla coil is too big, may be use transformer for CCFLs,
but I can not even guess what they can have the resonance frequency.

It would be difficult to adapt the Tesla coil system described in that unconventional (it is missing some page information, probably CSS) web page to be smaller. It is using the method I mentioned in post #5 with a 'ringing' driver stage to improve the drive waveform to the MOSFET. It is possible to see the images if you follow the links in the page source but I suspect the author has abandoned it.

The exact frequency in that example isn't important but whatever you choose, trying to make it with 'small dimensions' is very risky owing to the danger of flash over. The Tesla coil principle relies on the voltage between adjacent turns being relatively low but it results in a lengthy construction. If you try conventional multi-layer windings to make it smaller I think you are asking for trouble.

If you can live with lower frequency, in the 15KHz region the problem is MUCH easier because transformers are easily available, ones rated to >25KV at suitably high power are used in conventional CRT TVs and monitors. It is a long established technology with excellent reliability and circuits are abundant.

Brian.

15kHz maybe 25kHz solution with any high voltage transformer we use now, but higher frequency brings a more qualitative arc and it will make it easier for us to solve problems with size of filter for measuring.

I find for example this page picture on this page are dead and color rendering is for the blind, but author realize Tesla resonator on 3.84Mhz.
Wow, Richie really let his old web page fall to ruin, too bad.

Tesla coil is too big
The smaller the transformer, the harder it is to suppress arcing and corona. This is why telsa coil secondaries are made using long, single layer solenoids and loosely coupled primary coils. "Traditional" transformers simply can't withstand the voltage.

Status
Not open for further replies.