Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

gm of transistor vs gm of OTA operating in subthreshold

Status
Not open for further replies.

sci-fi_guy

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello, from what I understand from literature, in the subthreshold region of operation, the gm of a transistor can be found with the following equation:

gm = ID/(n*UT) where n is the substrate factor.

What I couldn't understand is if the same equation could be used to find the bias current - gm relationship of an operational transconductance amplifier?

If not, is there an equation I can use to find the gm - bias current relationship for a subthreshold OTA?

If you size your input pair large enough, or place your common mode voltage such that you can ensure that your transistors are operating in subthreshold that equation should work for setting the gm of your input. If you're in saturation you'll have to use the typical gm equation for saturation then.

... in the subthreshold region of operation, the gm of a transistor can be found with the following equation:
gm = ID/(n*UT) where n is the substrate factor.

What I couldn't understand is if the same equation could be used to find the bias current - gm relationship of an operational transconductance amplifier?

Sure, simply by division by ID: gm/ID = 1/(n*UT)

Inversion of this equation gives your bias current - gm relationship: ID/gm = n*UT

Only valid in weak inversion (IC ≦ 0.1) !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back