Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Problem with power controlling circuit using MOC3021 and TRIAC

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamesle0812

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi there,
I am trying to design a power controlling circuit for a pump engine (consider as inductive load) as figure below
Circuit + waveform.JPG
I use a pulse source to simulate output of the Arduino (5V - 100Hz). The problem is every time I run the simulation, the output of the MOC looks like wrong. The sine wave should be chopped at some points instead of a full wave.
The source is 325V Amplitude, 50Hz. U2 is 500 Vdm, 50mA Igt and 6A I max. R3 & C2, R4 & C1 are used for snubbing.
Can anyone tell me where I made mistakes?
Thanks,

Hi,

there is no GND reference on the right circuit side.. therefore the scope has no reference --> the shown voltage is almost random.
Place a GND symbol to the right circuit side.

Klaus

Hi,

there is no GND reference on the right circuit side.. therefore the scope has no reference --> the shown voltage is almost random.
Place a GND symbol to the right circuit side.

Klaus

Thanks for your quick reply.
After placing a GND, the waveform become like this
1.png
It's still wrong, right?

Hi,

In another thread I wrote:
Use a pencil and a sheet of paper and draw what you expect ... before you connect the scope.

If you are not satisfied with the shown scope picture...tell us what you expect.

Hint: use a third scope input and show the voltage across your laod.

Klaus

Hi,

In another thread I wrote:
Use a pencil and a sheet of paper and draw what you expect ... before you connect the scope.

If you are not satisfied with the shown scope picture...tell us what you expect.

Hint: use a third scope input and show the voltage across your laod.

Klaus

I've found a blog of a member. https://tahmidmc.blogspot.co.nz/2013/06/power-control-with-thyristor-phase.html. He has some photos as my wish.

Go to the following web page,
https://www.futurlec.com/LED/MOC3021a.shtml

and on the datasheet's figure 9, check out for yourself the differences between your schematic and the datasheet's schematic.

Basically I use the datasheet's schematic to design my circuit. That's why I don't understand why it doesn't work properly!

4.JPG
• R3 and C2 is snubber circuit for the opto-coupler meanwhile R4 and C1 is snubber circuit, protecting the TRIAC.
This is my calculation. Please correct me if I make mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.