Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I urgently need help on component placement rules for PCB design

Status
Not open for further replies.

devchand

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
i urgentaly need help component placement rule for pcb design

:sad:now i am doing first time single layer boards i want know component placement rule for single layer and double layer:thumbsup:

Re: i urgentaly need help component placement rule for pcb design

Hi,

You marked the thread as solved already...this may prevent users to read and to reply.

Placement:
You don't say what your application is.
A simple relay with a resistor and a diode for example is not the problem...
But for the very most other applications I recommend to do intelligent placement.
You use semiconductor devices...every single device has it's own datasheet...and usually in the datasheet you find PCB layout recommendations.
You need to read and follow them .. we professionals need to do this, too. It is the key to success.

How I do it:
I take the schematic and the datasheet of the most critical IC.
Then I place the IC at a random position..then according datasheet I place all the other parts around the IC like mentioned in the datasheet. The critical parts first.

I do the same with the next IC at a random position.
This results in several "units" of circuits at random positions.

After all critical circuits are placed, then I do the placement for the complete PCB.
I decide where on the PCB are the power I/Os, switches, LEDs ...

Then I take every pre-placed unit and move it to the correct position on the PCB.

Keep power switching nodes short and wide.

Very, very often a single layer PCB is not sufficient for modern circuits. Decide to use a second layer mainly as solid GND plane.

If you need more details you should post more informations about your circuit. Like schematic, and your first steps of placement..

Klaus

placement and routing at the pcb

what should i do placement and routing at the pcb:)

Re: i urgentaly need help component placement rule for pcb design

Hi,

I agree, that is is an about useless post.
Maybe it makes more sense with the other thread of the OP, therefore I merged both threads.

@OP:
Please elaborate a meaningful question.
Don´t start a new thread with the same or similar topic.

Klaus

Re: placement and routing at the pcb

what should i do placement and routing at the pcb:)

Use common sense. Divide your circuit in modular blocks (mentally) and try to put components of each block close together physically.

Noise-sensitive blocks will be one area, the high voltage section will be in another area and so on and so on.

You should notice that most of the connections will be within blocks; connections between blocks will be fewer. That helps routing.

Use the software autorouter but that should not be the last word. Use your eyes and intelligence on improving the routing. Next look at the blocks: they blocks should be placed in such a way that they are logically close.

Next you consider the physical constrains: some connectors, power devices and some components need to mounted close to the edge (just an example)...

Move the blocks (not individual components) so that all physical constrains are satisfied. Now you look at the ground and power lines...

Well, you should be knowing all these by now...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back