Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to differentiate NC drill layers in Gerber files?

Status
Not open for further replies.

torbai

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I recently designed a 6-layer PCB using Altium Designer. The board contains multiple sets of drills including through vias, blind vias and buried vias. When I exported the Gerber and NC drill files, I found that the suffix of NC drill files is just txt, tx1, tx2, etc. So here is my question: How could I tell which drill file is the exact set of drills based on those files I exported. Should I export an extra file to indicate the relationship of those files? Should I leave some words to the manufacturers? Or could the manufacturers figure it out by themselves?

Thanks for your reply.

The manufacturers may be able to figure it out, maybe they will get it wrong. Name them accordingly or use a text file that indicates what file is which layer.
Or even better, create a manufacturing drawing that explains it all, details the files and their relationship to the board, the layer structure etc.

P.S. NC drill files are not Gerber files, they are excellon drill data (usually) and not Gerber (RS274-X) data.
It is very import to them all into GCprevue and revue your manufacturing data.

NC Drill file should be a one single file if there aren't special cutouts or slots etc.

Hi,

Usually, when we manufacture a PCB, we will send 2 types of folders ones is Gerber folders and another one is NC Drill folders. NC Drill folders includes these types of files.
a ) .DRR
b ) .LDP
c ) .TXT

Thanks

NC Drill file should be a one single file if there aren't special cutouts or slots etc.

Not if it is a multi layer board with blind and buried vias, these are often produced in separate files per layer pair so that it distinguishes them apart from the through hole drills.
The same applies for plated and non plated holes, these are often in separate files to make it easier for the front end engineers to identify them, this prevents mistakes as it is clear which is which.

2nd Cyberrat.
My view, use ODB++ and don't mess about with outdated Gerber and Excellon data.

Whichever you use, check it matches your design before sending it to the fabricator.

The better the information you give to your fab the better chance you have of getting back a good board.

Best to send plated holes separate to non plated holes, gives the manufacturer more choice of when he drills the various holes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back