Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Getting 220v ac from joining two 110v ac sources in series

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chamjisky

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi I have purchased a roti maker 220v 2200watts and will take it to Canada. But there is only 110v and here it's only 220v.
Can I run it directly on 110v?

Can I get 220v ac from joining two ac sources in series?

Like I take one end of ac and attach it to another source one end to make a series connection?

Note both ac sources originate from same grid.

in market 220 to 110v converter are available in 2500 and 3000 watts output.

Can I just reverse their terminals like make the output terminal input and the input terminal the output this will reverse the step down actin to step up.

The converter available says 220v to 110v 3000 watts.

However if I reverse its action. Will its 220v side have enough capacity to drive 2200 watts load? Since I believe the specs clearly says that 2500 or 3000 watts is at 110v side.. But not sure what's the output power rartig at 220v side if it's action is reversed.

Also is the idea of connecting ac sources in series not good?

And what are the consequences of using it on 110v. I suspect its resistance/inductance/capacities (whichever used in the heating element) will stay constant but the lower voltage will just cause it to not get heated properly. Either it will eventually get heated or it won't get heated at all?

You may find a 220V supply is already available in Canada. Although normal outlets are 110V, most premises will have a second 110V feed for use on high power appliances already and between them you will get 220V.

You can't take the feed from two sockets and combine them. As the sockets will be on the same AC phase there will be zero volts between live and live and also zero volts between neutral and neutral so it will not produce extra voltage. Warning: if you try that you could also bridge sockets fed from different fuses which would present a serious safety hazard.

In general, yes you can reverse a transformer so 'step down' becomes 'step up' and I would guess in most instances the wire rating would be similar on both sides so it should work. I would allow say 20% over rating just in case though. A 3000W one used with a 2200W load should be safe.

If you use the roti maker on 110V it might work but the heat it produces would be much less. If it has a thermostat to regulate the heat it may just take longer to reach operating temperature then work fine but it if also has any motors in it, they may not develop enough power to 'push' hard enough, especially if you are also going from 50Hz AC to 60Hz AC.

Brian.

Thanks Brian for clearing the confusion.
Long time I had studied the phaser ac analysis can't even make an equation for above now. Lol.

The rotti maker has no motor in it.
It's simple heating system e which heats the thin layer of dough placed in between its two surfaces so it warms it evenly..

Thanks for the feedback. Roti makers are not very common in my part of the World so I looked on the Internet at what was available and found some 'automatic' ones that mix the ingredients and roll the dough, that's why I was concerned about motors.

As I said, if it ONLY has a heater element it will certainly work but the temperature may not be high enough, I would experiment before buying a transformer.

Brian.

Immense thanks I will try to borrow some suitable step down converter and test its output. If not satisfactory will buy a transformer..

However I m having heard time finding a phaser equivalent to combining two ac sources branched from same source.

However I m having heard time finding a phaser equivalent to combining two ac sources branched from same source.
They would be in phase (identical) waveforms so adding them would not change the voltage at all although it might double the available current. The only ways to double the voltage is:

1. to use a 1:2 step up transformer
2. to use a 1:1 isolating transformer, feed 110V to the primary and wire the secondary in series with one of the primary wires (observing correct polarity) so the secondary 110V adds to the input voltage.
3. use a 1:2 auto-transformer.

Note that 2 and 3 are essentially the same circuit but wired differently.

Brian.

Great which one are reversible? I hope all can be used for stepping up and down operations

No its bought in Pakistan here it's 220v

I'm guessing that the roti was purchased in us. As far as I know house wiring in Canada is same as here in USA. You will have choice of 110 v or 220 v. but you would probably have to have another circuit ran.

- - - Updated - - -

Also most 110 volt circuits are 20 amp. If you decide to go with a step up transformer you may be pushing that 20 amp breaker to its limit. If it's 2200 watts at 220 volts that's 10 amps. I'm thinking that might be 20 amps on the 110 volt side of transformer. Have not worked with step up transformers that much so I may be completely wrong on this. Hopefully someone that does will reply.

Essentially "power in = power out" if you ignore the losses in the transformer itself. As power = V * A , to get the same heating effect if you halve the voltage you double the current. The losses will result in slightly less power out rather than the same power out and more going in.

A 20A transformer will be quite big and heavy so ensure there is enough space to store it. If you have other 220V equipment with the same or less power rating you should be able to power it from the same transformer. Be careful with motorized equipment though because it may employ a synchronous motor which will run faster (and maybe less efficiently) on the 60Hz instead of 50Hz AC.

Brian.

Status
Not open for further replies.