Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[HDL Designer] How to import/export/migrate/move a project

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivlsi

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi All,

I have a project of the HDL Designer on one PC and I'd like to move/copy it to another one?

How can I do so? Just a copy of the directory of the project will work? Actually the files and libraries are deployed over many directories outside of the project root directory and I'm not sure about all these places...

Is there an automatic flow, which "pack" all the files/libs/etc into a single file, which might be moved/copied then to another PC and restored there? Something like to Archive->Restore flow in Quartus (Altera)?

Thank you!

Can somebody help? Does somebody know what the most popular forum for HDL Designer?

I get the feeling HDL designer is a bit of a niche product. Ive only ever seen 1 designers use it, and several others fed up with it.
Why not contact mentor? They would be the experts?

I posted my question on the MG forum - no one responded :) asked this question again this morning...
I have no choice - my employer works with the product ...

I usually copy an entire folder with all files to a new location (from network drive to a local C:/D: drive) and then open a that project from a new location in HDL Designer. I did not hear any complaints from my colleagues working on projects so I assume it is a correct way :)

Reactions: ivlsi

ivlsi

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Copying just a folder with HDL Designer folder might be an easy way when all the files are in this folder (or its sub-folder).
The problem starts when the files are deployed on many network drives and you need to migrate the project to another PC, which has no an access to these drives.

This is where versions control would have been rather usefull.... Then everything can be kept in a local folder.

ivlsi

So, are you about when all the files were checked in (committed) from different locations and then checked out to a single location? Is this the flow?
As far as I know, SVN (revision control) doesn't change the location of the files... So, how does exectly the flow work?

If you were using SVN, all of the files would be stored in a repository. Checking out a repository should mean the project is buildable. If files are needed from other repositories, you can use externals to check those out into your local check out folder, and you also need to make sure all paths are relative, rather than absolute.

This way, you check the project out anywhere and everything will work.

ivlsi

Thanks! Do you know a forum of the HDL Designer users? The Mentor Graphics web site community doesn't response to HDL Designer issues...
In fact, even here you are the only user who responded to my post :)

Sorry no, as I tried to use it once and hated it. I dont like programs that take control of my code and make it difficult to see what's changed in version control.

ivlsi

so, what your favorite tool/editor for HDL coding? Emacs?

We use HDL Designer because my employer can not afford for real VHDL designers and HDL designer allows you to draw your code in diagrams :) Besides that there is a significant turnover of employees so it is much easier to takeover a project by reading diagrams instead of pure VHDL code.

I personally use Notepad++
I use gvim.

We use HDL Designer because my employer can not afford for real VHDL designers and HDL designer allows you to draw your code in diagrams :) Besides that there is a significant turnover of employees so it is much easier to takeover a project by reading diagrams instead of pure VHDL code.
Let me guess, you must work in one of those hideous contract job shops where recent grads go and end up doing terrible designs for companies that have no idea they are just wasting money on "technical expertise" that doesn't really exist. Very sad stories from previous companies, where I've worked, that used those services (fortunately I was never part of those groups that took advantage of those services) our work was too critical or too proprietary to be exported.

Holy cow, people actually still do schematic design in 2017?

Holy cow, people actually still do schematic design in 2017?

Yes and no. HDL Designer lets you design the project as a schematic/state diagrams, but it all runs with HDL as the base, and you dont need HDL designer to compile the code.
It does looks pretty, but is another licence to pay for, when a text editor works just fine (for me).

- - - Updated - - -

And have you ever used System Designer in Vivado or QSys - thats basically schematic design, probably taking a cue from HDL designer.
They are all a means to broaden the FPGA market to non HDL fluent people - increasing chip sales.
Same goes for HLS, OpenCL and the like. Its all about sales!

Let me guess, you must work in one of those hideous contract job shops where recent grads go and end up doing terrible designs for companies that have no idea they are just wasting money on "technical expertise" that doesn't really exist. Very sad stories from previous companies, where I've worked, that used those services (fortunately I was never part of those groups that took advantage of those services) our work was too critical or too proprietary to be exported.

It is a rather recognizable university in London area. As a part of international collaboration they are obligated to deliver some (working) equipment. But it is other part of the story about low valuation of technical skills in UK where every person holding a screwdriver in a hand is called 'engineer'.

But it is other part of the story about low valuation of technical skills in UK where every person holding a screwdriver in a hand is called 'engineer'.
Which is pretty much the reason for any company that does medical equipment has to have an engineer (or two or more) that has a PE after their name.

Status
Not open for further replies.