Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to change the rate of a GPS module

Status
Not open for further replies.

ADGANL

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi everyone! This is a basic question about GPS modules. I'm using two GPS modules for testing, Tellit JF2 and Venus. I want to set the GPS send only RMC and GGA messages and send it every 30s. I know that I need to use NMEA 103 message to set this. But I was not successful.

Hi,

I'm not experienced in this..

But in another thread I read that it can be set to send position data "on request only".
So simply poll the position data every 30s.

Klaus

But I was not successful

Instead of giving void information, why don't you show what exact command have you sent ?

Hi! Sorry for not giving specific information. This is the command I used.

$PSRF103,00,00,30,01*25

I have set it to output only RMC messages but it outputs all default messages. i.e. RMC,GGA,GSA, VTG,etc
This is from the reference manual about query/control message.

Capture2.JPG

You did not recalculate the checksum, that's what you did:

Code:
$PSRF103,00,00,30,01*25

That's what at datasheet:

Code:
$PSRF103,00,01,00,01*25

According to this website, it should be:

Code:
$PSRF103,00,00,30,01*27

Reactions: ADGANL

ADGANL

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Thanks for that. But still I can't set it to only output RMC or GGA

Capture3.JPG

I did not read this dataasheet, except the snapshot you attached above, but I would expect a response from the GPS module in the case of the command being accepted or rejected ( eg: "OK", "-1", etc...). Take a look at the documentation of this module and check the error message from it, if sent, right after above command issued to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.