Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Reciprocal Transducer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

faisal349

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I have two similar piezoelectric ultrasonic transducers and I have to calculate the transmit and receive sensitivity. I have a small tank and I can calculate the receive sensitivity by comparing my transducer with the calibrated hydrophone. For the transmit sensitivity can I assume that it is equal to the receive sensitivity?

Thanks

Regards

Last edited:

I don't see how transmit and receive sensitivity can be equal. Unit of transmit sensitivity is sound pressure at distance x for transmitter voltage y, receiver sensitivity is received voltage for sound pressure x.

I mean the magnitude only. I read it in few papers that if the transducer is reciprocal, then the receive sensitivity is 'identical' to the transmit sensitivity at some frequency i.e.
|Velocity / Current| = |Voltage / Force|

Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks

Last edited:

I see, you mean same frequency response in RX and TX. It can be expected if the terminating impedance is the same in both cases.

Interesting question. Non-reciprocal behavior can be observed in cases where the media has gyrotropic/anisotropic properties. In principle, the transducer is also a part of the media, so even if your media is a vacuum (besides the transducer itself), reciprocity is not guaranteed, especially when the transducer is polarized. I'm not familiar enough with piezo physics to give a solid answer though.

However it has been reported that many media (including many human tissues) exhibit anisotropic properties to acoustic waves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back