Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Beginner question re. behavior of synthesized VHDL and propagation delay of process

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jiggle

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Beginner question re. behaviour of synthesised VHDL and propagation delay of process

I come from a software development background with some basic electronics knowledge and have become interested in learning VHDL.
Please can you help me with my understanding of the synthesised VHDL behaviour.

I assume that the two processes below are totally asynchronous to each other if synthesised into real hardware.
Is this a correct assumption?

Given that, if I were driving the following (clk, res, sig_in) via IO pins I would need to make sure that sig_in has a settled value (propagation delay sig_in to sig_eval) before transitioning the clock high to set the sig_out to the sig_eval value (res is 0).

If I were driving these (clk, res, sig_in) internally via another VHDL process, would the VHDL do some magic with synchronising/ordering of the processes or would this be totally asynchronous too and the two processes below run at some point because of their sensitivity lists but the order unknown (dependent on synthesised implementation)?

Code VHDL - [expand]
signal clk: std_logic;
signal res: std_logic;
signal sig_eval: std_logic;
signal sig_out: std_logic;
signal sig_in: std_logic;

process(sig_in)
begin
  sig_eval <= not sig_in; -- Could be a lot more complex (longer time)
end process;

process(clk, res)
begin
  if(reset = '1') then
    sig_out <= '0';
  elsif rising_edge(clk) then
    sig_out <= sig_eval;
  end if;
end process

Thanks,
Justin...

Re: Beginner question re. behaviour of synthesised VHDL and propagation delay of proc

What you have to understand here is that VHDL is a bahavioural langauge, and synthesised VHDL is a circuit. In your example, your code could "work" just fine as VHDL works on a set of rules, but the synthesised circuit is likely to behave in all sorts of ways because of factors outside of your control in VHDL.

The following statements that sig_in comes from an asynchronous source. If sig_in is already synchronous to the same clk as the 2nd process, then there is no problem.
Because the second process is synchronous - you know when sig_out will be sampled - on the rising edge of the clock.

VHDL works by using delta cycles - infinitely small increments in time. Any event can only occur in a single delta cycle. In the following code, you know the assignments will work, because each assignment triggers the assignment to occur in the next delta cycle:

Code:
b <= a;
c <= b;
d <= c;

While on a waveform they would all appear to transition at the same time, they actually all have a delta cycle delay (this can cause some gatchas in VHDL).

VHDL knows nothing about internal delays, pin IOs, track delays, temperature - and it does not care. You may want to model these in your VHDL with "after" delays, but these are ignored for synthesis because they were just that - a model. The synthesisor has to make a real circuit. It is then down to the user to know the IO delays required and input them to the project via the SDC file.

You need to understand your VHDL will become a circuit when synthesised. And you need to know how that circuit should behave. It is very possible to write VHDL that works one way in a simulator, and another way on hardware.

So no - there is no "magic" that VHDL does to "make things work". As with any code, it just follows the rules of the language and does exactly what you wrote in the code.

Status
Not open for further replies.