Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

multicycle path between two flops latched by two different clocks

Status
Not open for further replies.

slakshmi

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Can someone help me on how to specify a multicycle path from FF1/CK to FF2/D
FF1 clocked by CLK1 and FF2 clocked by CLK2

I tried this, but the tool complains that -clock_from and -clock_to are obselete, and gives an ERROR and ignores that constraint

set_multicycle_path -clock_from [get_clocks CLK1] -from [get_pins FF!/CK] -clock_to [get_clocks CLK2] -to [get_pins FF1/D]

Thanks

A multicycle path is a path that is not required to be stable within a 1 clock cycle period. It allows for relaxation of the timing constraints for things like logic that is enabled every other clock cycle. It is done on a path where the source and destination clocks are the same clock.

A multicycle path is not used to constrain asynchronous clock domains, which is what you seem to be doing.

Can someone help me on how to specify a multicycle path from FF1/CK to FF2/D
FF1 clocked by CLK1 and FF2 clocked by CLK2

I tried this, but the tool complains that -clock_from and -clock_to are obselete, and gives an ERROR and ignores that constraint

set_multicycle_path -clock_from [get_clocks CLK1] -from [get_pins FF!/CK] -clock_to [get_clocks CLK2] -to [get_pins FF1/D]

Thanks

the -from -to options are meant to be used on flip flop pins, not on clock objects.

set_multicycle_path 5 -from [get_clocks CK] -to [get_clocks CLK2] -start -setup
set_multicycle_path 4 -from [get_clocks CK] -to [get_clocks CLK2] -hold

This will set multicycle path between two clocks

There is no sense to define a multicycle path between two clock domains.
Or you should mention us the clocks are related with divider ratio.

FF on CLK1 and FF on CLK2, if CLK1 & CLK2 are asynchronous should be declare as false path between them not a multicycle path.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back