Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Basic question about the layout (common mode centroid configurations) - current mirror?

Status
Not open for further replies.

palmeiras

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Basic question about layout (commom mode centroid configuration) - current mirror?

Hi guys,

I'm designing the layout of a current mirror (Q1 and Q2), where Q1 has multiplicity = 1, and Q2 has multiplicity = 8. I put them in a common mode centroid configuration. The current mirror is part of a Bandgap voltage reference circuit.
What is the problem of doing the connections between the gate of transistors done by poly, as shown in the attached figure (poly is written in red color)?

Is there any problem of doing these connections by poly instead of M1?

Thanks,

Attachments

• layout_current_mirror.jpg
    layout_current_mirror.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 109

Re: Basic question about layout (commom mode centroid configuration) - current mirror

What you have will be fine. You need to ask yourself if dummy devices are need. If so, then you will need a 5x5 array. A smaller alternative is to lay them out vertically in a row, connecting the gate in metal. You would only need dummies on the ends. I have also done them horizontally in a row connecting the gates in poly.

Rob

Re: Basic question about layout (commom mode centroid configuration) - current mirror

Thanks, Rob.

thus, Is the only drawback of my layout the bigger area?

What about layout matching? Will it be ok?

Matching should be fine with what you have drawn. However, you are the one that has to determine the level of matching you need.

My question is: Does this configuration have worse matching than that you suggested? If yes, why?

I need to achieve the best possible matching.

Does this configuration have worse matching than that you suggested? If yes, why?

No, for a current mirror it's really sufficiently well. Note that in most cases there will be current deviations anyway due to different Vds voltages of master & slave transistor - if not equalized by an additional control loop.

Try to avoid poly connection if you can

Try to avoid poly connection if you can

why? in digital circuits, ok (there is a speed issue). How about this case? I´m worry about matching.

How about this case? I´m worry about matching.

I think for your current mirror it's fine. Poly width = gate length is quite practical and achieves a compact design. Anyway the mirror probably isn't thought for high frequency, perhaps even for DC, I guess.

why? in digital circuits, ok (there is a speed issue). How about this case? I´m worry about matching.

I am pretty sure to have read it in "the art of analog layout" but I don t want to give you a bad answer so I m looking for it. If you can take a look at it (free pdf on internet) you have others things to check

In general there is no issue with gates connection via poly.
However, polysilicon has ≈ 20Ω/sq sheet resistance and could contribute to the noise (usually in extreme cases).

The real issue is bounded with technology. If used process has relatively high gate leakage, poly connection resistance provides voltage drop and lower effective gate voltage for devices placed farer than biasing diode. In addition, some of the processes provides DFM rules forbidding gate connection only by poly.

Thanks guys for all replies.

I guess it was possible to achieve a more compact layout doing in this way, and then, a better layout matching
I think I'm going to layout my next DC circuits in this way!!

The best way for doing this is to place vertically which is to place and route and you can add dummy both the sides.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back