Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I dont understand this AC Analysis question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cartman007

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have this question that I can not quite figure out what to do.

I am quite good at AC analysis I believe.

This is the question.

Q2.1.png

Question 2,1 is really vague or is it only me?

Am I Suppose to get the imaginary part of that inductor and thats it?

Thanks

Am I Suppose to get the imaginary part of that inductor and thats it?
The question indeed was not posed in the best way, because XL in my understanding seems like being the impedance magnitude, I mean, the geometric sum of the real and imaginary parts.

Exactly what's not clear for you ?

Exactly what's not clear for you ?

Find the TOTAL Z in a-b which is only a single inductor ?
What am I suppose to get Total Z excluding 0.5K ohm resistor ?

Between nodes a-b there is only the symbol of an inductor, which does not necessarily means that the model represented by XL is an ideal device, that is, this 'inductor' may contain parasitic elements (let's say, a series resistor) so that the unknown paramter could be the angle between the real and imaginary components, once the magnitude is a known datum, a vector of amplitude 10K. Anyway, it is evident that the attached question has not been well elaborated, leaves room for different interpretations, therefore I would not concern on this, as long as your methematical calculations come out correct for any of these interpretations.

Between a and b you have the inductor in parallel with all the other components of the network (R, C and two generators) properly combined.

You know the inductor XL, that is XL = jwL, as well as the capacitor XC, that is XC = -j/(wC).

You are asked to find the total Z seen through the nodes a-b, not the impedance of the inductor alone.

Since it is an exercise, all the components have to be considered as ideal.

Why do you want to exclude the 0.5k ohm resistor contribute ?

Status
Not open for further replies.