Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] φ use in Spec Sheets for Pin Dimensions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jtank

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hey there all, I'm designing a PCB for my job using EagleCAD and came across an issue where the pin sizes weren't properly implemented. The spec sheet says the measurement of the pin is 5-φ1.5 (+0.1/-0). Does this mean the diameter of the pin would be 3.5(+/-) or does φ stand for the Golden Ratio making the pin measurement 2.57(+/-)?

Thanks

Normally it means 'diameter', like a hole with a dimensioning line through it.

Brian.

On some other spec sheets, I see the capitalized version ? which means diameter, but this one has the lowercase one inside the equation for the diameter (arrow pointing to diameter with label that says 5-φ1.5), so I'm unsure as to what the actual dimensions are.

In general, drilling specifications are common for several holes so that in the manufacturing process you do not have to change drill bits, so this 5-Ø1.5 specification sounds like 5 holes of 1.5mm in diameter. Anyway it would be easier to take some conclusion if you could present this drawing.

Reactions: Jtank

Jtank

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Diameter Concern.png
That actually sounds pretty plausible as there's 5 pins. I wish I had one on hand to physically measure.
I've also linked the PDF directlyhttps://www.mouser.com/ds/2/164/ftr-p3-471460.pdf

Hi,

"5-" means that this is for 5 (here all) drills
"φ" should be the diameter symbol
"1.5" is the diameter
The rest is tolerance.

Klaus

Reactions: Jtank

Jtank

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search