Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[ALTERA] how can I manage several QSF files?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivlsi

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi All,

What's the recommended practice for using several QSF files for the same project?

How the tool knows what QSF to read?

How can I reset the project (remove all settings)?

Thank you!

The QSF file is the Quartus Settings file, and you only usually have 1 per project.
Why do you have multiple qsf files?

Reactions: ivlsi

ivlsi

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
A Quartus project can contain multiple "revisions" (device selection, pinout, design file references). They are listed in the *.qpf file. You select the actual revision in a pull-down field.

You can also refer to individual revisions in command line tools, and e.g. perform a batch compilation for multiple FPGA targets.

If using multiple revisions in a project is useful or not depends on your requirements.

ivlsi

Actually I don't see any reference to QSF file in the QPF file.

Here is the only lines in the QPF:
------------------------------------------------------
QUARTUS_VERSION = "13.0"
DATE = "13:05:42 July 10, 2013"

# Revisions

PROJECT_REVISION = "lphud_fpga"
------------------------------------------------------

While creation of revisions, I don't see any place where I can define the QSF filename.

Here is the snapshot of the pop-up menu for creation of the new revision:

1.jpg

You still havent said why you want multiple QSF files in a single project.
Afaik, if the QSF file isnt listed in the .QPF file, then it uses the file with the same name as the .qpf

ivlsi

You still havent said why you want multiple QSF files in a single project.

Why I'd like having several QSF files? Just for creation "test cases". I don't want to copy/paste the project to several places.

For example I'd like to create different configurations of the same IP and switch down them by just using different QSF. There are many other reasons as well. For example using different design file sets, etc...

TrickyDicky said:
Afaik, if the QSF file isnt listed in the .QPF file, then it uses the file with the same name as the .qpf

So, anyway, how could I set explicitly what QSF file should be used? What the attribute and example of usage?

Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:

Quartus usage is really intuitive and straightforward, it's the first time that I hear a similar question. Anyway,
PROJECT_REVISION = "lphud_fpga" specifies the *.qsf file name. There's at least one revision entry in the project file. If more than one, you can select it in a pull-down field, as said.

You can click the new_revision field and a new revision name as well the previous revision where you are the settings copying from.

There's a verbose chapter about project management and revisions in the Quartus software handbook.

A drawback of the revision scheme is that global changes (e.g. adding a HDL file that's used in all revisions) must be edited in each revision separately. Or you need to set up manually a file with global settings that are imported in each qsf file.

ivlsi

Thanks! I really appreciate your support!

It would probably be much easier just to use SVN to create several branches of the same project. Or just have multiple folders each with it's own project, referencing the same source files.

As for SVN, what Quartus files should be under revision control (besides QPF, QSF, and SDC)?

Is SVN already integrated with Quartus? How should the Quartus files be managed under SVN?

All you need in SVN are QPF, QSF, SDC files and any source files (including QSYS).
Everything else should be generated during the compilation process.
Quartus does not have SVN integration, but given all important files are just text files (unless you have .bdf) it plays nicely with SVN.

V

Should I change the directory structure of Quartus for working with SVN?

Previously worked with Vivado and Xilinx recommended moving all the files, which should be controlled by SVN, outside of the Vivado directory structure.

Quartus projects are normally located in user project directories. It's straightforward to check-in the project base directory and add db and output directories to the ignore list.

This way copying a project to a new computer or generating an old revision copy is a single click check-out.

Vivado is a bit annoying with its directory structure and it really wants control over all of your source, hence the recommendation to move it all away from vivado before check in.
Quartus really doesnt care where anything is, and doesnt generate stupid amounts of annoying directories when you use it. Vavado often has problems hitting the 256 char windows path limits because it creates so much junk.
My only recommendation is having no whitespace in any of your folder names.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back