Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Adding additional IR LEDs to a TV remote

Status
Not open for further replies.

Resistanceisfutile

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi. I have an infrared TV remote and wanted to add more IR LEDs. The signal is probably 30 - 50 KHz. Could I build an amplifier with just a MOSFET (and some resistors for the LEDs)? If not, is there another simple way to do this?

Just duplicate the existing IR LED driver. Because the battery voltage is normally 3V, and the IR LED needs ~1.7V, it isn't feasible to add more LEDs in series but you can add more drivers and LED circuits in parallel.

Brian.

Hi. I have an infrared TV remote and wanted to add more IR LEDs...

I do not understand the objective; do you feel that the TV is too far and the signal from the remote is not reaching the TV? Or the TV is not responding well to the remote?

It is unlikely the IR LED is the culprit. The IR signal comes (received and transmitted) in the form of a series of digital pulses and there are different standards.

Please also take a look at https://www.epanorama.net/links/irremote.html that has some basics explained.

Maybe he is trying to control the TV of a neighbour that is across the street?
Maybe his TV's IR receiver is overloaded with bright sunlight?

I did do something similar myself a few years ago. It wasn't a TV, it was a satellite receiver box. I already 'piped' the RF output around the house to TVs in different rooms by combining it with the antenna signal and feeding it through a distribution amplifier but with that blocking the return path it wasn't possible to remotely control it. I duplicated the IR driver stage and ran a pair of thin wires to a second IR LED in the room with the box so it could be sent commands from elsewhere. It wasn't the most 'universal' solution, being tied to one remote unit, an IR repeater would have been a better solution but at the time I was virtually immobile and a dirty but quick solution was best.

Brian.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back