Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Servo Motor and PMSM Motor what is the difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chaitanyab

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I want to know is there any difference between Servo Motor and PMSM motor with encoder?
I want a servo motor for hydraulic pump drive, can a PMSM motor with encoder act as a servo motor?

thanks,

CB

I want a servo motor for hydraulic pump drive, can a PMSM motor with encoder act as a servo motor?

Why not? You need a controller that can forward, reverse and accel and decel and of course brake. You need someone keeping an eye on the encoder and someone listening for instructions.

Modern microcontrollers are perfectly suitable for the task in hand.

Ok But what is exactly the meaning of SERVO? It looks pretty generic but what it means?

Hi,

Did you consider to use an internet search engine?
Or simply Wikipedia?

Klaus

Servo mean position-control or speed-control
A servomotor is a rotary actuator or linear actuator that allows for precise control of angular or linear position. Servo motors are used to position control surfaces like elevators, rudders, walking a robot, or operating grippers

I searched a lot and discussed with my colleagues, in hydraulics it is called servo but to me its a low inertia fast motor and controller. I am still confused, I am Electronics and what is the difference between SERVO Motor and a normal Step/PMSM/BLDC motor with an encoder? Is there anything special characteristic required for the PMSM/ BLDC motor to be used as a SERVO, I mean super low inertia etc or any motor in close loop can be called as a SERVO?

...I am still confused, I am Electronics and what is the difference between SERVO Motor and a normal Step/PMSM/BLDC motor with an encoder? Is there anything special characteristic required for the PMSM/ BLDC motor to be used as a SERVO, I mean super low inertia etc or any motor in close loop can be called as a SERVO?

Servos are always in closed loop and they are usually with external encoders (there are many types) and form part of the feedback closed loop. I guess that should be a good enough definition. But what EXACTLY is YOUR confusion?

A servo contains internal gears so that it resists being turned by a physical load whether or not it is receiving signals.

A servo has stops in each direction, so that it cannot continue to spin indefinitely. The above applies to hobby servos which I've used in radio-controlled planes.

Status
Not open for further replies.