Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Microstrip Port Excitation

Status
Not open for further replies.

umberabbas

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
1) Green strip on top is signal line
2) Underneath the signal line is dioxide dielectric
3) Beneath the dioxide is ground plane
4) Underneath the ground plane is substrate.

Q: I am using lumped port excitation for this model. Is the rectangular sheet correctly placed (on the top edge of the ground plane)?
Q: How to find Q-factor of this model in HFSS?
Capture.JPG

Q: I am using lumped port excitation for this model. Is the rectangular sheet correctly placed (on the top edge of the ground plane)?

I assume this is HFSS. You may want to extend the sheet to cover the lower conductor, as well as extend it upwards past the top of the microstrip some more. Otherwise, it looks OK. The best way to tell, though, is by viewing the modal fields the port generates.

E-field-microstrip-model.JPGH-fiedl-microstrip-model.JPG

Here are the E and H fields for the above microstrip model. I want to aslo know.

1. How do we ground the substrate in this model
2. How to find the Quality factor of this model?

Field plots that show strongly asymmetric results for a symmetric line mean that results are not accurate (mesh too coarse).
The accuracy of conductor loss is not visible in field plots.

2. How to find the Quality factor of this model?

This is the second thread where you ask about "Quality factor" of a line model. Quality factor is a fixed term, often used for inductors, capacitors, resonators. It's not used for lines, so what do you mean by Quality factor here? Microstrip resonator or just accuracy of results or what?

Last edited:

E-field-vector-microstrip-model.JPGH-fiedl-microstrip-model.JPG

These are the directions for E field vector (between strip and ground) and H field vector (around strip). Are these correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back