Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

GPRS Modem To Modem Link

Status
Not open for further replies.

DLT99

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Most GPRS modem examples expect the modem to log into a PC application via the Internet. I want to use 2 GPRS modems to replace a serial link between "serial only" devices. The serial devices will be able to send AT commands to the modems to instigate calls, etc...
The modems I am looking at are the Maestro M100 3G: according to their config program, they can operate in client (most common) or server (not so common) mode.
My SIMs have a fixed IP address on a private APN (but not a fixed public IP address exposed to "the internet").

So, is this scenario possible?

Modem 1 in server mode - fixed IP address - listening for connection on a predefined port:
Modem 2 in client mode - knows the fixed IP address and port of the server modem:
Both modems \ SIMs on same private network \ APN.

Can the client modem (be given AT commands to..) start a connection to the server and allow connection between the 2 serial devices at the ends of the link?
Can the client drop the connection to the server and allow a second client to call in?

(Obviously, the connection would still go through the cell network - not magically leap from one modem direct to the other...! :smile:)

Has anybody attempted a connection like this, with these or similar modems?

Is this "usual \ acceptable \ reliable operation"? (I have been told by one source "...it may work by chance now, but don't rely on it in the future...?")

Surely this is a "reasonable" connection method with known fixed IPs, same network & APN, etc?

I have scoured the net for info, but come up with conflicting data - "what does the team think"...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back