Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[Moved]: problem with noise in designing transimpedance amplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.

ultrasonic.1991

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi I am simulating a transimpedance amplifier in the paper given below. I can get the gain and bandwidth to the desired value using the specified power consumption given in the paper. the only thing that doesn't match the paper is noise. I averaged the noise from 10k to 14G(two times more than bandwidth) because the paper showed the input referred noise in this range. I measured the average current noise density in this range and its two times more than what is given in the paper. and I have another problem with noise. in the paper says the integrated input referred noise current is 1.27 µArms. i don't see the relation between this value and noise current density if we multiply current noise density to sqrt of bandwidth or sqrt of 2*bandwidth we get a different value. i integrated the noise current density with cadence calculator i get 150*10^-3 . it would be really good if you could help me thanks in advance.

idea.png

https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/7870132/?reload=true

Re: problem with noise in designing transimpedance amplifier

Are you using exactly the same foundry with paper's one ?

I'm sorry i don't know what foundry means but if you mean technology i used 0.13 technology which is used in the paper.if your referring to the company of technology it is not given in the paper(i used tsmc 0.13 ) .The sizing of transistors is not given in the paper and i got that by simulation.

I'm sorry i don't know what foundry means but if you mean technology i used 0.13 technology which is used in the paper.if your referring to the company of technology it is not given in the paper(i used tsmc 0.13 ) .The sizing of transistors is not given in the paper and i got that by simulation.
If the technologies are different, the results will also be different.

no technologies are not different

Are you using a different capacitive load at the input than what was measured/simulated in the paper? Larger capacitance on the input of a TIA will cause higher noise in the output. The input node capacitance plays a large role in TIA noise generation.

Also, to clarify what BigBoss was asking: Even if the technology node (0.13u) is the same, different foundries and processes can have differing noise performances.

Status
Not open for further replies.